Checked baggage pick up questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Davids

Train Attendant
Hi all, we are going from Los Angeles to Chicago the long way on Coast Starlight and Empire Builder. We will stay 1 night in Chicago then will rent a car the next day. My question are, can I pick up my checked baggage 1 day after I arrive in Chicago when I have my rental car? I want to avoid lugging my baggage to the hotel. Will my checked baggage go with us on CS and EB or direct on SWC? If amtrak put my baggage on SWC then it arrives 1 day earlier before I arrive in Chicago, will amtrak store it for 2 days? Where do I pick my baggage? Many thanks in advance

Your checked baggage will most likely go direct via the SWC. I did the opposite earlier this year, going CHI-SEA via the SWC and CS, my bag arrived on the EB the day before. Amtrak will hold your luggage without charge for up to 72 hours, I think. You will have to ask at baggage services, though, it won't be on the belt.

Your checked baggage will most likely go direct via the SWC. I did the opposite earlier this year, going CHI-SEA via the SWC and CS, my bag arrived on the EB the day before. Amtrak will hold your luggage without charge for up to 72 hours, I think. You will have to ask at baggage services, though, it won't be on the belt.
Is there a tag that tells them not to put it on the belt when the SWC arrives?

I don't think so. When I went NYP-SEA via WAS, CHI and LAX, they just tagged it SEA, so I guess they just pulled it off when no one picked it from the Builder arrival. Amtrak still does check baggage tags.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back