Checked Baggage Transfer at Galesburg (GBB)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KC Ghost Rider

Service Attendant
I am thinking about checking my excess baggage in Emeryville, CA, through to Kansas City, Mo. That means a transfer at Galesburg, IL. Has anyone done this? If so, did it go smooth as usual or is this station too understaffed to effectively do it? I do know it is a new service for this station. Just finalizing my plans and this came into focus. :help:

EMY - KCY via 6 and 3 transferring at GBB does not show as a valid "published" route. The only valid routing is via the San Joaquin/Thruway bus to Los Angeles, connecting to the Southwest Chief. All segments show checked baggage service, including the bus, so that is how the bags will go.

If you yourself have used a multi-city option to force travel via GBB, your bags would STILL go via BFD and LAX if you checked them direct to Kansas City. You could, of course, check them to Galesburg, pick them up, and recheck them to Kansas City at Galesburg if that is how you are going.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so glad I asked this question! I don't think it is such a bad thing though because the baggage, in theory, would be waiting on me in KCY. However, I will do as you suggest and check it through to GBB and then recheck it through to KCY. I knew someone would have an answer...they always do (A very good thing) :hi:

GBB is a small traditional station and if you have to claim and recheck bags it should be no problem. It's a very short walk from the platform area to the station and once inside you'll think you stepped back about 75 years-it's nice.

I will do as you suggest and check it through to GBB and then recheck it through to KCY. I knew someone would have an answer...they always do (A very good thing) :hi:
First of all, just because #6 to #3 doesn't show up on the main Amtrak.com query site, doesn't mean it isn't a valid connection, just that the schedulers are geographically challenged. It does show up as a multi-city option. #6 arrives in GBB at 11:31AM and #3 departs at 5:38PM. But more to the point, if you have time to claim the bag(s) in GBB and recheck them to KCY, then there is obviously time to check them through.

With 8 trains a day, GBB is well staffed and at least as competent as any other station, large or small. Besides it's the kind of place where you could probably eye ball your bags during the whole process, or even claim them, with claim check of course, if you change you mind.

Now if I recall correctly, the original notice announcing reinstatement of baggage service said that bags are checked and claimed trackside. I believe this is due to a lack of space in the station: someone had taken over the baggage room as an office.

My advice: if EMY lets you check through, do so. The worse that could happen is GBB would tell you hang on to them until #3 arrives. Whenever I've needed to store stuff while heading for a nearby coffee shop or bar, the agent would say to stash it over in the corner with all the rest. As I said, it's that kind of place.

I have had the pleasure of using the Galesburg station before when traveling to Denver, so I know the corner where the bags are placed. At that point, there was no checked baggage at or through the station. Everything was carry on. I just thought it would be convenient to check my excess baggage in EMY and claim it in KCY...not fuss. I am flexible and can do it either way. Thank you for your information!

I will do as you suggest and check it through to GBB and then recheck it through to KCY. I knew someone would have an answer...they always do (A very good thing) :hi:
First of all, just because #6 to #3 doesn't show up on the main Amtrak.com query site, doesn't mean it isn't a valid connection, just that the schedulers are geographically challenged. It does show up as a multi-city option. #6 arrives in GBB at 11:31AM and #3 departs at 5:38PM. But more to the point, if you have time to claim the bag(s) in GBB and recheck them to KCY, then there is obviously time to check them through.

With 8 trains a day, GBB is well staffed and at least as competent as any other station, large or small. Besides it's the kind of place where you could probably eye ball your bags during the whole process, or even claim them, with claim check of course, if you change you mind.

Now if I recall correctly, the original notice announcing reinstatement of baggage service said that bags are checked and claimed trackside. I believe this is due to a lack of space in the station: someone had taken over the baggage room as an office.

My advice: if EMY lets you check through, do so. The worse that could happen is GBB would tell you hang on to them until #3 arrives. Whenever I've needed to store stuff while heading for a nearby coffee shop or bar, the agent would say to stash it over in the corner with all the rest. As I said, it's that kind of place.
I never said you couldn't do it, and the 6-3 connection at GBB shows as a published route for intermediate points on the CZ such as Salt Lake, and so would probably be guaranteed in the bargain. What I did say is a bag checked at EMY for KCY would likely follow a more standard routing. Bags frequently follow different routes from their owners if the owners are taking a roundabout path. If a bag is sitting in the EMY baggage room with a KCY tag on it, they are probably just going to do whatever they usually do with KCY bags. Unlike the airlines, there isn't a requirement that bags follow their owners and the routing is often not noted on the tag, for good or for bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back