Checked bags between Seattle and Vancouver CA

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tennessee Traveler

Conductor
I'll be traveling the Cascades Train 516 Seattle to Vancouver, CA, in February 2018. Has anyone arrived in Vancouver recently with checked bag and know what the process is for obtaining your checked bag and going through Canadian customs at the Vancouver station?

I've checked a bag on that train in June. It's really easy the conductor puts all of the bags in the baggage car on the platform next to the fence usually. And then when you walk by you pick up your bag and go to customs.

If you need to store your bag you can go to the VIA counter and I think it's something like five cad per day.

Thanks, Seaboard. That helps. And since I am taking the CANADIAN that night, I appreciate the ability to store my luggage since it will be 8 hours between trains.

Be aware that (at least two years ago when going through that station) VIA charges a hefty storage fee and at that time Amtrak had no storage facilities at all. No storage lockers back then either. Don't know if it's the same today.

See below

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are connecting to Train 2 the Canadian you will get free bag storage. And if VIA has the proper staffing they will also deliver your bags to your room on the train if you like.

Be aware that (at least two years ago when going through that station) VIA charges a hefty storage fee and at that time Amtrak had no storage facilities at all. No storage lockers back then either. Don't know if it's the same today.

See below
There will never be any Amtrak anything there because we contract baggage and ticketing to VIA.
Sent from my SM-G955U using Amtrak Forum mobile app

If you are in a sleeper on the Canadian, you can day check your bags with Via at no charge.

You must pick up your bags prior to departure, though. Via discontinued the in room delivery at Vancouver about 3 years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just in Vancouver and they offered it in June. Of course I wasn't taking the Canadian so I didn't use it. But it was an offered services. And in Montreal two weeks ago they offered it.

Back