CHI hotel suggestions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bronzeman

Train Attendant
We will be driving to Chicago and taking the EB to GPK next month. We prepaid our parking at the Union Sation garage to obtain a favorable long term rate.

My daughter would now like to go to Chicago a day or so early and do some sightseeing.

Does anyone have any suggestions for reasoably priced downtown Chicago hotels (preferably including parking)? Because of the way prepaying works through ParkWhiz we cannot lengthen our stay at the Union Station Garage.

Check out the Acme Hotel on Ohio. New boutique in River North. Ask them to match the Groupon rate. I had friends stay there recently and it was $100 a night (cheap for downtown Chicago). Call direct 312-894-0800

http://www.acmehotelcompany.com/

We stayed at the Ohio House Motel when we went to Chicago last weekend. It's at the corner of LaSalle and Ohio. Parking and Wi-Fi are free (rare in downtown Chicago), and it's close to lots of things, including the L (Red Line) and various bus lines. The office is open 24 hours, so the parking lot is monitored, but we never felt unsafe. It's in a nice area of town, right by the Hard Rock Cafe.

We paid $110/night for a king room. I'm not sure how much the double rooms are, but I believe they're right around the same price.

http://www.ohiohousemotel.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
I usually stay in the Holiday Inn (Downtown), 506 W Harrison St. Closest hotel to Union Station, just one block's walk. More or less $100 a night.

It's actually a classic railway hotel which has been reopened as a Holiday Inn (unfortunately they got rid of a lot of the classic decor on the outside -- but there's still a lot on the inside). I wish I could find the history of it online again, I found it once and lost it... (anyone on this forum know?)

Unfortunately the parking is *expensive*, $35/night. You'd be better off parking in the Union Station Parking Garage at the 24-hour rate and walking the one block. (I use this hotel when I don't have a car with me; it's really ideal for railway trips.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back