Chicago connection from Calif Zephyr to Capitol Ltd

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be traveling, ultimately to Florida, from Central Iowa (Osceola) on Amtrak. I will be catching the Calif Zephyr #6 for a short ride to Chicago, then onto Capitol Limited #30. I am concerned about the 2 hour connection time in Chicago. I've noticed that the #6 has been typically 3-6 hours late consistently in recent past.

Is this connection notorious for not being made? What will happen when it isn't made? Or is something unique going on right now on the #6 line in the short term? My backup plan is to drive to the first small town station east of Chicago and board the Capitol #30 there. Will they allow me to do that if that isn't where my ticket actually starts from? (This is an award ticket).

Any input is appreciated.

I wish that I could tell you that the Zephyr wasn't notorious for missing the connection, but alas it is. So I would definately be worried about making the connection to the Capitol Limited.

Now you mention using award tickets, but what isn't clear is are you in a sleeper or coach? The answer could have some effect on what happens if you do miss the connection. If the train will arrive within an hour of the scheduled departure, then there is a chance that Amtrak will hold the Capitol to await the connection.

Failing that, if you are in coach, Amtrak will either try to get you onto the Lake Shore Limited or if it happens to be running that day, the Cardinal. That assumes that the Zephyr does arrive in time to make those connections. If you are in sleepers, then Amtrak will try to get you on either of those trains, but depending on sleeper availability you may get downgraded to coach.

If you arrive too late for those trains, then Amtrak will put you up in a hotel for the night at their expense, as well as provide you with a meal allowance. You'll then be rebooked on the next day's Capitol Limited, as well as having the Florida connection reticketed. Of course, once again sleeper availability could affect things here.

Now to your backup plan, yes, Amtrak would allow you to board the Capitol Limited further down the line despite what's printed on the ticket. However, I'd suggest looking into try to catch the SW Chief out of either Fort Madison, IA. or Galesburg, IL. Either of these choices would be a much shorter drive for you. Note, you will need to exchange your Zephyr ticket for a ticket on the SW Chief. The Chief is far more reliable, so much so that you may even wish to reticket for it rather than gamble on the Zephyr.

I did the CA Zepher to Capital Limited connection on Aug 14. I had been tracking the connection for months, and in the 30 days prior to Aug 14 it only made the connection one time....Aug 14th was the second time. We looked at missing the connection and getting put up in a hotel and catching the Captial Limited the next day, but we were traveling in a sleeper and were told they could not guarantee a sleeper would be available the next day. So we planned an overnight in Chicago (we had a FANTASTIC time) and scheduled the Capital Limited the next day. My wife is a reluctant train traveler and I couldn't risk not having a sleeper for her on the Capital Limited. As it turned out, the coach seats on the Capital Limited "sold out" about a week before we left but there was a least one sleeper still available. I didn't have a chance to check the last day or two before the trip, but it could have been possible there were no coach or sleepers available the next day...that would have put a big hurt on our vacation plans. I suspect that doesn't happen very often, but just throwing it out there. I know the CA Zepher perfomance has been improving, but I haven't been tracking it.

I was on the eastbound Zephyr a couple weeks ago, connecting with the LakeShore Limited. As expected, the connection was missed. However, Customer Relations agents joined the train at Galesburg to handle the arrangements for the affected passengers. They had, early that day, blocked the remaining inventory on the next night's LSL so as to be able to accomodate the rebookings. I know that, because I had been checking availability on the website from the train, and the agent confirmed that when I asked him about it. They put us all up at the Swissotel (really nice hotel) and gave cash for food & cab. Got my sleeper accomodation the next night, even though the website showed sold out. It was all handled very smoothly. They're doing it so often they've got it down to a science!

I was afraid of that. And yes, it is a sleeper - a family sleeper at that, so I can't hope that any last minute changes would work, especially with children ages 4 and 7. Coach simply wouldn't work, for us, or for the surrounding passengers! :)

I think I will take your advice and switch to the SW Chief. Because of Interstate locations and speed limits, Kansas City is actually closest to my home. But, I am assuming that long term parking at the downtown KC station is not available? If it isn't, then actually Princeton, believe it or not, is the next quickest to get to. That would be an easy place to drive to and park. Looking at the 1pm departure time, I'd have to leave my house about the same time as I would to leave from Osceola. I'd just have to delay my relaxing a few hours, a miss a good lunch!

Because this is an award ticket, once I get them in the mail, what is the procedure to change this leg of the trip from the Zephyr to the SW Chief?

I wish that I could tell you that the Zephyr wasn't notorious for missing the connection, but alas it is. So I would definately be worried about making the connection to the Capitol Limited.
Now you mention using award tickets, but what isn't clear is are you in a sleeper or coach? The answer could have some effect on what happens if you do miss the connection. If the train will arrive within an hour of the scheduled departure, then there is a chance that Amtrak will hold the Capitol to await the connection.

Failing that, if you are in coach, Amtrak will either try to get you onto the Lake Shore Limited or if it happens to be running that day, the Cardinal. That assumes that the Zephyr does arrive in time to make those connections. If you are in sleepers, then Amtrak will try to get you on either of those trains, but depending on sleeper availability you may get downgraded to coach.

If you arrive too late for those trains, then Amtrak will put you up in a hotel for the night at their expense, as well as provide you with a meal allowance. You'll then be rebooked on the next day's Capitol Limited, as well as having the Florida connection reticketed. Of course, once again sleeper availability could affect things here.

Now to your backup plan, yes, Amtrak would allow you to board the Capitol Limited further down the line despite what's printed on the ticket. However, I'd suggest looking into try to catch the SW Chief out of either Fort Madison, IA. or Galesburg, IL. Either of these choices would be a much shorter drive for you. Note, you will need to exchange your Zephyr ticket for a ticket on the SW Chief. The Chief is far more reliable, so much so that you may even wish to reticket for it rather than gamble on the Zephyr.

I was afraid of that. And yes, it is a sleeper - a family sleeper at that, so I can't hope that any last minute changes would work, especially with children ages 4 and 7. Coach simply wouldn't work, for us, or for the surrounding passengers! :)
Well that definately complicates things, as the neither the Lake Shore or the Cardinal will be viable alternatives. They are single level trains and don't come with Family rooms.

Of course the train from DC down to Florida also does not offer family rooms, so they must have booked you into either two roomettes or two bedrooms.

I think I will take your advice and switch to the SW Chief. Because of Interstate locations and speed limits, Kansas City is actually closest to my home. But, I am assuming that long term parking at the downtown KC station is not available? If it isn't, then actually Princeton, believe it or not, is the next quickest to get to. That would be an easy place to drive to and park. Looking at the 1pm departure time, I'd have to leave my house about the same time as I would to leave from Osceola. I'd just have to delay my relaxing a few hours, a miss a good lunch!
Sadly I can't speak to parking availability at either of those locations. I have been in the KC station and it is a beautiful old station, but parking I have no idea about. Perhaps one of our other members will know more about parking in those places.

Because this is an award ticket, once I get them in the mail, what is the procedure to change this leg of the trip from the Zephyr to the SW Chief?
Since you've not said just when you're traveling, I'd try calling first thing Monday (the rewards office is closed on the weekends) and see if the tickets have even been mailed yet. If your trip is more than 3 weeks off, they may not have mailed them yet. That of course would be easiest. If they have been mailed, still have the person change the reservations for you. Then when you get to whichever station you decide upon, turn in the Zephyr tickets to the agent and he/she will exchange them for the SW Chief tickets.

But definately don't wait for the tickets to arrive to call to change things, do it ASAP.

Yes, I am aware that the Florida leg doesn't have family bedrooms. We are actually in one bedroom, as the lady said that the 3 person max restriction was for 3 adults. Having 2 adults, 2 kids was at our discretion. We'd just have to pay for the 4th meal. Our plan is the smallest adult and smallest child in the lower bunk - the largest adult in the top bunk and the child in the reclined chair. Not great, but better than 26 hours in the car!

Well that definately complicates things, as the neither the Lake Shore or the Cardinal will be viable alternatives. They are single level trains and don't come with Family rooms.
Of course the train from DC down to Florida also does not offer family rooms, so they must have booked you into either two roomettes or two bedrooms.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I am aware that the Florida leg doesn't have family bedrooms. We are actually in one bedroom, as the lady said that the 3 person max restriction was for 3 adults. Having 2 adults, 2 kids was at our discretion. We'd just have to pay for the 4th meal. Our plan is the smallest adult and smallest child in the lower bunk - the largest adult in the top bunk and the child in the reclined chair. Not great, but better than 26 hours in the car!
Agreed that's probably still better than coach and it does still include most of the meals, something that you wouldn't get in coach.

I can't promise anything, but depending on their actual physical sizes, you might want to try putting the two kids in the upper bunk and then share the lower with your wife. I suspect that it will be a tight fit, but it might just work and would still be better than the chair.

Failing that though, be sure to ask your attendant for an extra blanket and pillow for the child who ends up in the chair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back