Chicago Hotels

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slither

Train Attendant
Planning a Chicago trip later this year, and was wondering if anyone has had experience with The Buckingham Athletic Club and Hotel. It appears that it would be within walking distance from Union Station, and also reasonably priced. Thanks for your input.

For another reference to hotels in Chicago and throughout the US: if you've not yet done so, you might cut and paste this link to your browser:

http://www.aarp.org/ On the TRAVEL tab click and check the HOTELS feature.

There you'll fine a nice assortment of hotels with varying prices, plus restaurants and other options.

Also, you might be able to get some helpful, critical review info from http://yelp.com/chicago

Last edited by a moderator:
La Quinta was decent and an easy walk from Union Station when I stayed in March of this year. Fairly reasonable and they had a hot breakfast in the AM.

The Buckingham Athletic Club is a great hotel. It is part of the Chicago Board of Trade new building. I have stayed there three times.

The hotel occupies the 40th floor of the building and has amazing views. You check in at the security desk at the lobby. There are only about 20 rooms, so it feels like a boutique hotel. Staff has always been very nice and the breakfast in the athletic club on the 3rd floor is very good.

I prefer the south facing rooms as you get a great view of the Amtrak and Metra train yards, as well as the Rock Island Metra station just below the hotel. There is also a lounge with the same view.

As great as the hotel is, there are a few caveats. It can feel a little weird going in an otherwise empty office building at night and on the weekends. The keys are very bulky (they include a security card), but you can leave the keys at the security desk / check in when you are out. You have to take two elevators to get to the hotel rooms (one to the 39th floor, and a second to the 40th floor). Also, being in the south loop there is not much in the nearby area in terms of restaurants, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back