Chicago & St. Louis

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm planning to go to Missouri for a couple of days, related to business later this week. I also planning to have few spare days, so I'm thinking of taking one of two trains from Kansas City to either St. Louis or Chicago and stay overnight before heading back to Kansas City.

I was thinking of going scuba diving at abandoned mine in eastern Missouri, but due to shaky condition at the Capitol over $$$ to Amtrak, so I may take an opportunity to ride one or two trains- Southwest Chief and Ann Rutledge. Who knows if Amtrak is heading for sunset or not?

What kind of cars on Ann Rutledge?

Any ideas or must see in either cities?

gswager,

Obviously, there are tons of "must see" things to do in and around CHI. However, I found the Museum of Science & industry up there on my list, and well worth a full day visit. If you like trains, you'll love to see what $3 million will buy in the way of a huge and spectacular model railroad there. The major attractions (Field Museum, Aquarium, etc.) around CHI also rotate their "Free days", so depending on which weekday you visit, you may even be able to get in for free (Normally $9-10 each as I remember). Here's a link that may be helpful:

http://www.ci.chi.il.us/CulturalAffairs/mu...k/FreeDays.html

Regards,

John Wolfskill

http://www.trainweb.org/metrovalleyline/index.html

There is much to say about Chicago, but on the subject of St. Louis, I know that at one time it had one of the best zoos in the ccountry. I THINK the old structure of the railroad station still remains, though I am not sure in what way it is used. It is not used as the regular passenger station anymore. But, anyway, it is or was one of the huge historcially beautiful railroad stations of the country.

Bill Haithcoat said:
There is much to say about Chicago, but on the subject of St. Louis, I know that at one time it had one of the best zoos in the ccountry. I THINK the old structure of the railroad station still remains, though I am not  sure in what way it  is used. It is not used as the regular passenger station anymore. But, anyway, it is or was one of the huge historcially beautiful railroad stations of the country.
Shops, restaurants, and even a hotel, I think. While it's sad it can't be teeming with railroad passengers, the fact that it is still being utilized (and very popular) is heartening.

seajay

Bill Haithcoat said:
Seajay, when is your Viewliner trip?   Thanks for answering about the St. Louis station.
I leave Chicago for Pittsburgh on The Three Rivers Friday night. I'll attend the Pirates-Phillies game at PNC Park on Saturday evening and catch the westbound Three Rivers right after the game. That schedule works out great.

seajay

P.S. While I will certainly appreciate any comments anyone posts, please remember our moderators' requests to reduce multiple postings of short comments like, "Have a great trip!" and "Enjoy yourself!" and "I wish I was going somewhere, too!". Trust me, I'll have a great time. :D

Also, I know many would be interested but please don't expect a long report about every aspect of my trip. I don't carry a scanner, I don't really care what the consist of the train is (particularly car numbers), and I don't really care what phase the paint job of any of the cars is or how much they weigh. (I may be banished from this forum for saying these things but, well, I have to be honest.) It's only a 10-hour trip and, both ways, most of it will be in the dark. As long as my standard bedroom is empty and clean when I get on the train and we're relatively on time, I'll be happy as a clam. :lol:

seajay said:
I don't carry a scanner, I don't really care what the consist of the train is (particularly car numbers), and I don't really care what phase the paint job of any of the cars is or how much they weigh.
Believe it or not, I don't carry a scanner either (never have, and don't plan to)... and I don't collect consist info like car numbers, either :lol: I am more into the train ride and experience than I am into spending part of that time collecting data I really have no use for.

I'm sure that opinion, like seajay mentioned, will differ from that of most (if not all) other railfans, but really the only thing I ever take note of (mentally while on board, not written on paper) is the type of equipment/car and, in the case of Superliners, the phase (I or II). I'm more interested in having a good time and looking out the windows! :D

That's great seejay, you should do what makes you happy (just get engine numbers and we'll be happy :lol: ). Enjoy PNC Park, it is the best park in America to watch a baseball game at according to ESPN, so you'll enjoy it I think. Just have a great time and relax, that's the one thing I almost never do when I'm on the train, but I wish I could make myself do it, so you have my envy.

Guess what....I'm kind of torn between just relaxing as opposed to getting all sorts of information. I used to just pretty much relax and enjoy(though I made notes on the schedule performance) but since getting on this forum I have learned to pay more attention to the equipment.........I actually wish I had paid more attention to the equipment in the distant past, because, believe it or not , there are two or three questions from FIFTY YEARS ago I desparately wish I had an answer for.If I had made good notes back then I would not have these questions today.

So I think there is something to be said for both approaches....guess I am kind of in middle ground at present.

I know this much: when I get on a train, settle into my room or seat, I look around, take a deep breath and something says to me "This is your home---this is where you belong. This is what it's all about"....honest...that is the way it is with me.

And, yes, Seajay, DO have a good trip!!! Tell us what you thought of the Viewliners. Too bad it will not be a longer trip, and more in daylight, because I think you are in for a treat. It is those upper windows that provide the magic.

Sadly, I will not be able to ride on train. Too many things that need to be done at once on a short notice before leaving.

My best hope would be a last minute to book on train, if possible even though the Missouri stations are unstaffed.

Well, I'll try another time as long as the Amtrak gets $$$ from plane-lovers White House. :(

Sorry but I'm afraid you'll just have to get by without those engine numbers. Unless, of course, I happen to walk by the engines and see the numbers and can remember them on Monday. :rolleyes:

Is there a better place to relax than on a train?

Actually, I've been to PNC Park in Pittsburgh before and this is basically why I'm going back. I haven't been to all the major league parks but I consider it to have the best view of any I've been to. Heck, I'm neither a Pirates or a Phillies fan. I'm a baseball fan and, as I said, the train schedule works out great to take a short trip to see a game. Actually, my journey will start and end in Galesburgh, Illinois. I'll take the Illinois Zephyr into Chicago on Friday morning and then take the California Zephyr back to Galesburg on Sunday afternoon.

seajay

Bill Haithcoat said:
I know this much: when I get on a train, settle into my room or seat, I look around, take a deep breath and something says to me "This is your home---this is where you belong. This is what it's all about"....honest...that is the way it is with me.
Bill, I guess I kind of feel the same way. I'm away from the stresses and strains of my everyday life and I just get a huge thrill out of traveling along and seeing the countryside spread out before me and not having the cares of driving. Sure, traveling by train can be a real hassle sometimes but if you can get around those, the experience itself makes it the best way to travel. I've traveled by train in Europe, too, and it's the same there. I hate flying. I'm not afraid of flying, I just hate the whole process involved.

seajay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back