Chicago union station layover

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The only street hustlers I've seen around Union Station are the self appointed "taxi dispatchers" that hang around the cabs, open the back door and expect a "tip" for this service!

Chicago is the third-largest city in the United States. You're going to see some homeless people. It happens. Just ignore them and keep walking. I've never had anyone outright hassle me, as in follow me around and continue yelling at me. That's only happened to me on the L, and it was my own fault for riding the Green Line after 1 a.m. ;)

Anyway, I always recommend the Hancock Building over the Sears Tower. First of all, I think the view is much better. Second, you won't stand in line for nearly as long. Third, you'll get to see Michigan Ave, even if it is by bus.

You can catch the #151-Sheridan bus right outside the Great Hall, on Canal St, at the corner of Jackson. It'll take you straight up Michigan Ave. Yank the cord when you see the Water Tower on the left and the Magic, Invisible Bus Voice Guy says "Pearson". The bus will stop near the corner of Chestnut, which puts you mere feet from the Hancock.

Last edited by a moderator:
So we have a 6 hour layover would this be enough time to take the el to hard rock and grab lunch?
Definitely. A bus will get you to Hard Rock in about 20 minutes, and walking + Red Line takes about 25 minutes.

Even if you have to wait for a table, you should be fine.

I pretty much endorse everything SarahZ has to say. The Bus No. 151 is your lifeline away from CUS and into everything that is great about Chicago. Caveat: all this is time dependent; do not attempt with 2-4 hours; 4 hours+ and you can make some headway into the city, sightseeing and dining.

My strategy when I'm departing LD from CUS is to check my luggage in the Metro Lounge and head either to the Art Institute (on foot; open till 5, Thursday till 8) or take the 151 to Water Tower (trip will be 20-25 mins. each way). From Water Tower you can shop, eat in 200 different restaurants, or visit the MCA (contemporary art; Tuesday open till 8) or Driehaus Museum (historic interiors).

This is dependent on mobility of course, but the entire Loop is accessible on foot from CUS. There really is no reason for Amtrak travelers on layover to limit themselves to the immediate vicinity of CUS. Sears (Willis) Tower, Beggars Pizza and Lou Mitchell's are the smallest and least interesting slice of Chicago imho.

Actually I've done most of the things suggested. Chicago is a great place to lay over. Have to agree Hancock building views are better than the old Sears tower

Thanks for the advice! I promised the kids that we could go to hard rock on the first layover, and then go to rainforest on the return trip. I love union station but I HATE sitting around! 6 hrs there would be too boring

Again, depending on weather and length of stopover, the water taxis to navy pier, or the river arcitectural tour are nice. planetarium, aquarium, natural history museum, and art museum are also possibilities, museum of technology excellent but a little far.....quite a bit to see and do if the schedule and mother nature cooperate....

Or just sit in the Great Hall and imagine the history that has taken place there, all the famous & infamous people who have passed though it, and relish its architecture and ambiance.
I could swear I read that they were removing the remaining seating from the Great Hall. Did they change their mind or did I simply misunderstand?

Just a quick bit of advice if you go outside the station on the river/bridge side, you'll have to "run the gauntlet" of the "street-people" begging money. Last layover in CHI they were getting borderline scary aggressive. Why Amtrak Police doesn't intervene is a question I have.
I don't recall any scary aggressive gauntlet running during any of my trips to Chicago. Must have been beaten senseless until I couldn't remember it.

You can also buy a FastPass to the top.
If you buy the FastPass before arriving (on the web), can you skip the line just to get to the ticket booth? I didn't bother with the FastPass because of the cost.
Yes, and you bypass the exhibits and movie too.
Fastpass is the real deal. I'd view it as part of the base ticket price at this point. In other words either get the pass or don't bother going.

Do not attempt with 2-4 hours; 4 hours+ and you can make some headway into the city, sightseeing and dining.
I'd consider four hours in Chicago to be plenty of time for sightseeing and two hours to be enough time for lunch. The key to getting the most out of a layover is to plan and map it out ahead of time so you know precisely where you're going and exactly how to get there with a simple backup plan in case of unexpected adversity. If you're slow or out of shape/time then take taxis or uber/lyft as appropriate.

I promised the kids that we could go to hard rock on the first layover, and then go to rainforest on the return trip. I love union station but I HATE sitting around! 6 hrs there would be too boring
I've had so many amazing culinary experiences in Chicago. It never occurred to me that I could eat the same generic frozen chain food as back home.

We dont have hard rock or rainforest where I live. Heck were a small town, we have mc. donadls, burger king, hardes, and a culvers. Even when the kids come to visit me, IHOP is a huge treat (and we eat there every time)

Again, depending on weather and length of stopover, the water taxis to navy pier, or the river arcitectural tour are nice. planetarium, aquarium, natural history museum, and art museum are also possibilities, museum of technology excellent but a little far.....quite a bit to see and do if the schedule and mother nature cooperate....
Navy Pier is an overpriced, crowded mall that juts into the water. You can have the same shopping and dining experiences in the Loop without paying twice as much or dealing with 80 bajillion tourists.

Now, I do recommend riding the Ferris Wheel once, just to say you have, but unless you're going to the (amazing) Shakespeare Theatre, skip Navy Pier. :hi:

I definitely agree with your other suggestions, though. Rather than going to Navy Pier, I'd recommend the river architecture tour. You'll get to see more of the city (and more water), and some tours go out onto Lake Michigan for a little bit. Plus, seeing the city from the river is a completely different experience. I've been to Chicago hundreds of times, but seeing it from the river allowed me to see different sides of the buildings. Plus, you get to learn some history, which is always nice. :)

Also, many of those museums have "free days" on weekdays. If anyone's layover is on a weekday, it would behoove them to see which museums have a free day:

http://www.chicagoparent.com/picks/museum-free-days

Navy Pier is not my cup of tea either, but depending on the area in the country someone comes from, it might be appropriate specifically because it is "touristy" rather than free form. I'm a museum lover, it's easy for me.

Navy Pier is not my cup of tea either, but depending on the area in the country someone comes from, it might be appropriate specifically because it is "touristy" rather than free form. I'm a museum lover, it's easy for me.
I suppose that's true. It's worth a visit simply to say you've been there.

But never again after that. ;)

Chicago has some terrific museums, but many of them could take more hours than a typical layover allows there is so much to see.

Navy Pier does nothing for me, but I do suggest one of the boats that gets you out a bit to see the city skyline from the lake. Absolutely spectacular, especially at night.

I agree about the architecture boat tour is good, Walking the loop area or Michigan Ave., or over to Grant Park, the Bean, Buckingham Fountain

Just a quick bit of advice if you go outside the station on the river/bridge side, you'll have to "run the gauntlet" of the "street-people" begging money. Last layover in CHI they were getting borderline scary aggressive. Why Amtrak Police doesn't intervene is a question I have.
I've never had a problem with street people when I've been to Chicago Union Station, so I do not think you should say this in an way that makes it sound like everyone will experience what you experienced.
Me neither...ever. Maybe they just saw his Louis Vuitton purse.
Make that 3. Sounds like someone needs a safe space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back