Chicago union station question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

engr08

Service Attendant
I was recently asked which terminal has the most Amtrak trains going and coming. I said NYP because you have the keystones, empires, Acela and etc. I was told that im wrong, NYP has the most trains operating there but its Chicago Union station that has the most Amtrak trains. My question how many Amtrak trains operates into Chicago Union Station?

Nyp by far has cus beat. I read in a recent trains magazine article that nyp has a capacity for 4 Amtrak trains per hour (in each direction iirc). And they need more. Do

The math and I think nyp has way more amtrak traffic the cus.

Lake Shore Limited

Capitol Limited

Cardinal

City Of New Orleans

3 Wolverines

7 Hiawathas

Pere Marquette

Blue Water

Illini

Saluki

4 Lincoln Services

Carl Sandburg

Illinois Zephyr

Empire Builder

Cali Zephyr

Southwest Chief

Texas Eagle

I think that's all of them... for a grand total of 28 trains a day. Of course that doesn't count the Metra trains that use CUS.

peter

Metra has six trains that use Union Station. Departures vary from 10 to 20-some trains per day.

Metra has six trains that use Union Station. Departures vary from 10 to 20-some trains per day.
Lets see

SWS has 15 trains a day

HC has 3

BNSF has 47

MD-W has 29

NCS has 11

MD-N 31

so 136 Metra trains depart CUS every weekday and with the 28 Amtraks that means CUS has 164 Trains scheduled to departe every weekday (at most).

peter

Is this most TRAINS or most LINES? Chicago is pretty much the center of the whole national railroad network.

Lake Shore Limited

Capitol Limited

Cardinal

City Of New Orleans

3 Wolverines

7 Hiawathas

Pere Marquette

Blue Water

Illini

Saluki

4 Lincoln Services

Carl Sandburg

Illinois Zephyr

Empire Builder

Cali Zephyr

Southwest Chief

Texas Eagle

I think that's all of them... for a grand total of 28 trains a day. Of course that doesn't count the Metra trains that use CUS.

peter
Did you count arrivals too, though? I'd count departures and arrivals since the OP mentioned "going and coming" when comparing to NYP. I still think NYP is busier, but it would be interesting to know how many trains arrive and depart at CUS every day.

If NYP was a stub end terminal from the south it already has Chicago beat with 52 departures to Philly and other points south including long distance trains total on the Average Wednesday (and one additional arrival that terminates from BOS, one fewer Monday-Tuesday and Thursday because of the Tri-Weekly Cardinal). Northbound its 20 departures to New Haven, (18 to Boston plus the through Springfield train and the Vermonter), 1 train to Boston originates in NYP. 19 total through trains. The Empire Corridor has 13 weekday departures and arrivals.

This means NYP has a total of 85 trains departing there each and every Wednesday (one fewer Monday and Tuesday) with passengers, 19 of these are through trains, 66 originate, and 66 arrive and terminate. At total of 151 daily trains that touch NYP. It blows CHI out of the water with 26 departing and 26 arriving Amtrak trains per day!

Last edited by a moderator:
The total number of local/suburban trains out of Howrah would be hard to count precisely since complete timetables for such are hard to come by. But between SER and ER a good minimum estimate would be 10 per hour, with the actual number possibly much higher several hours of the day and much lower between something like 10pm and 5am.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back