Chicago's south boarding area attendent

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amtrakmichigan

Lead Service Attendant
This is at least the third time I have ran into this woman in the south boarding area in union station. She is one of the employees in the boarding lounge that makes boarding calls and talks to people like a dog who had an accident on the living room floor. She is a somewhat tall and slender black woman about 50-60 years old. I wanted to get her name and make a formal complaint, but she wasn't wearing a nameplate or ID of any sort. I wanted to see if anyone may know what her name is? People like her is what helps give Amtrak a bad wrap! Especially if it's your first trip.

Write David Gunn and tell him just what you said here. Ive written him on various subjects, he always writes back and it very appreciative.

I feel your pain - I ran into one in Sacramento who made a rude announcement when the Amtrak Thruway Bus departures were going to be delayed due to a late arriving train. It was specifically, "the fr***ing buses won't be leaving for another couple hours, if you don't like it Greyhound is only a couple blocks away. Anyone who comes to MY counter and harasses me about it will be arrested."

Talk about an outrage! Of course the guy was not wearing a nametag and his coworkers and the incoming train conductors refused to give his name. Luckily this was back when I was a weekly volunteer host at the nearby Martinez station. I brought the issue up to the station agents there and they found out who it was based on my description and time that it happened. Bye-bye Isaac Jones! Amtrak does NOT need people like him.

You have a fairly good description of the agent in Chicago. Make a note of the specific time/days that you see her there and which station location she is in. Try asking one of the other Amtrak employees her name - sometimes (not often, though) they are just as frustrated with the bad apples as you and will give you her name. I would try to direct a latter to the station manager - ask for assistance doing this from the 800-USA-RAIL folks. Good luck.

When writing your complaint, include the lack of a name tag. That is against company policy.

I know exactly the woman you are talking about. I've been through Chicago several times and have seen her act too often. In fact, I've given her the name "Boarding ****" as in the famous soup **** from Seinfeld.

I didn't see her that last time I traveled through Chicago. We had hoped she was gone.

Guest_Amtrak_flyer said:
Write David Gunn and tell him just what you said here. Ive written him on various subjects, he always writes back and it very appreciative.
Take the advice of this poster and simply forward a letter regarding this woman to David Gunn. It is not that hard for him to figure out who it is. CHI station management will do something about it when they are pressured by upper management. Her behavior as you descibe it is absolutely unacceptable!

I, for one, do know this is the most effective as I have been on the other end of the spectrum, and pulled into the office because a passenger (who was very happy with my service in the sleeping car being we we having a bad trip) wrote a letter of appreciation to Mr Gunn, and my crewbase management wanted me to know about it! Of I course I was very appreciative and have a copy of the letter in my own personal file as well as in my file at work. OBS....

Someone needs to get this woman's name and contact the new VP of Customer Service. Post the name on the site and someone will make the relay to the proper person.

It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who has ran into the "boarding ****" :p ( I like that name). Next time I'm in Chicago I will be sure to use my movie feature on my digital camera, and record everything this woman says on the PA and how she treats passengers. That should get some attention in the upstair offices in Washington when I send it to them. I think next time if she isn't wearing any form of ID I will just ignore the orders she is barking out, then tell her that I didn't know she was an Amtrak employee since she didn't have any ID showing she was. That would be enough to give that old bitty a stroke.

Be careful about using that camera! That boarding lady might have you arrested for using that camera on the platform .Remember the new homeland security policies are strict about photographing trains,stations and railroad equipment.You could have your camera taken away from you and the pictures will be erased plus the police may hold you for questioning meanwhile your train will depart without you.Find the post about the fellow in New Orleans getting arrested while photographing trains at union station while waiting on the sunset limited to board for the trip to orlando.

railfangns said:
Be careful about using that camera! That boarding lady might have you arrested for using that camera on the platform .Remember the new homeland security policies are strict about photographing trains,stations and railroad equipment.You could have your camera taken away from you and the pictures will be erased plus the police may hold you for questioning meanwhile your train will depart without you.
I too would urge caution, especially with video taping, while in the station. Still photos seem to be more acceptable, but they really frown on video taping train stations. When New Jersey Transit opened their new section of Penn Station, I was given permission to take still photos by Amtrak police. He was quite adament however that I not use any sort of video, which my camera didn't provide anyhow.

Find the post about the fellow in New Orleans getting arrested while photographing trains at union station while waiting on the sunset limited to board for the trip to orlando.
This is not a good example, as this person was not in the actual train station. He was out on the platforms and way past the engines for his train. Since the train backs into that station, there is no reason for passengers to normally go that far out on the platform.

Now there is some debate over signs warning him that he was in a restricted area, not to mention a debate over who said what and who may or may not have overreacted.

Now there is some debate over signs warning him that he was in a restricted area, not to mention a debate over who said what and who may or may not have overreacted.
I remember reading all the threads on this. Has there ever been a resolution that anyone knows about? Trial, dismissed, etc.

MrFSS said:
I remember reading all the threads on this. Has there ever been a resolution that anyone knows about? Trial, dismissed, etc.
Not that I've heard of. I'm sure that if there is going to be anything, it has been seriously delayed by Katrina and the far more pressing needs of dealing with that. I also wouldn't be surprised if some of the records and info wasn't destroyed by the flooding. I know that many court records were lost due to the flooding.

Of all the times I have been through CUS, I can't recall ever seeing this woman! Maybe she was in an unusually good mood all the times I was there!

Except for one episode, I always have a great experience at CUS. The one exception was a rude employee I found in the Metropolitan Lounge. I called Amtrak and gave his name. When I came back through CUS a few months later, he was still in the ML, but his attitude was much, much better. I should have thought to send a compliment.

Folks, I must say that on my last trip on Amtrak, which was early July, I did not encounter a single rude employee on the entire trip. I rode the Hiawatha, Lake Shore Limited, Regional, and Crescent on this trip. I dealt with station agents in Chicago, South Bend, Cleveland, New York, and DC. I patronized lounge cars and dining cars. I road coach most of the way albeit with a sleeper on the Lake Shore. And I must say that the dozens of employees I encountered were doing a fine job, and that's the plain honest truth!

Of course, I realize that there are still some bad apples out there that can ruin the whole batch!

I have run into this woman quite a few times. I quite like her. I guess I am in the minority.

lepearso said:
I dealt with station agents in Chicago, South Bend, Cleveland, New York, and DC. I patronized lounge cars and dining cars. I road coach most of the way albeit with a sleeper on the Lake Shore. And I must say that the dozens of employees I encountered were doing a fine job, and that's the plain honest truth!
Of course, I realize that there are still some bad apples out there that can ruin the whole batch!
Aloha

I can't say dozen of time but I agree and support the statement regarding the excellent quality of service I have received on Amtrak. I very much prefer rail to air travel even though all my trips start and end with a flight, but wait, :lol: I do drive to the Airport :D

jccollins said:
I feel your pain - I ran into one in Sacramento who made a rude announcement when the Amtrak Thruway Bus departures were going to be delayed due to a late arriving train. It was specifically, "the fr***ing buses won't be leaving for another couple hours, if you don't like it Greyhound is only a couple blocks away. Anyone who comes to MY counter and harasses me about it will be arrested."
Talk about an outrage! Of course the guy was not wearing a nametag and his coworkers and the incoming train conductors refused to give his name. Luckily this was back when I was a weekly volunteer host at the nearby Martinez station. I brought the issue up to the station agents there and they found out who it was based on my description and time that it happened. Bye-bye Isaac Jones! Amtrak does NOT need people like him.

You have a fairly good description of the agent in Chicago. Make a note of the specific time/days that you see her there and which station location she is in. Try asking one of the other Amtrak employees her name - sometimes (not often, though) they are just as frustrated with the bad apples as you and will give you her name. I would try to direct a latter to the station manager - ask for assistance doing this from the 800-USA-RAIL folks. Good luck.
That had to be more than a couple of years ago. I remember Issac, never had an issue with him. I always wondered what happened to him. Too bad all that could have been avoided with a simple announcement every few minutes over the PA saying that. At least they now have a Starbucks at the Depot to kill time in.

Ah, the Strabucks! Yup, I was just there and patronized that fine establishment Thursday morning on my way down to Monterey. It sure passes the time faster than just sitting on the station's comfy wooden benches. Now if they could just pipe in the station announcements over at Starbucks... :lol:

Back