Christmas Eve & Christmas Day on the Train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Shouldn't be too crowded and as was said, hopefully you'll have a Holiday Menu in the Diner!( I used to fly on Holidays and sometimes I'd be the only one in FC) And your OTP should be better as the Freight trains shouldn't be as frequent, most Class Is don't want to pay Holiday Pay!

On some routes the OBS are in a Holiday Mood and even decorate their cars! Hope you have one of those crews!

Last edited by a moderator:
This is as good a time as any to remind everybody that every soul on the train --- crew as well as passengers --- is far away from home and family on this day. Since everybody is in the same boat, so to speak, it seems that everybody should adopt each other as their surrogate "holiday family" for the time you are together. We all miss loved ones when we're traveling, but we can all help each other by keeping a light heart and sharing a lively holiday spirit with those around us, whoever they may be. A stranger is just a friend we haven't met yet, and there should be no strangers today.

Merry Christmas, everybody!

Tom

This is as good a time as any to remind everybody that every soul on the train --- crew as well as passengers --- is far away from home and family on this day. Since everybody is in the same boat, so to speak, it seems that everybody should adopt each other as their surrogate "holiday family" for the time you are together. We all miss loved ones when we're traveling, but we can all help each other by keeping a light heart and sharing a lively holiday spirit with those around us, whoever they may be. A stranger is just a friend we haven't met yet, and there should be no strangers today.

Tom
*LOVE* Merry Christmas, Tom

Tom
*LOVE* Merry Christmas, Tom
Great suggestion, Tom. I liked your post so well I posted your comments as a Christmas Thought on my personal Facebook page. Really appreciate the sentence, "A stranger is just a friend we haven't met yet, and there should be no strangers today.

The couple of times my family has traveled on Christmas the OTP was great, and the train was not full, though eve and day after they were full. We took a small tree (fake) and a couple of tins of cookies to share which were appreciated by most if not all.

Apparently this guy got tossed for pot possession.

http://tucson.com/news/local/amtrak-ousts-rastafarian-over-tucson-pot-use/article_7b016769-a0af-5380-8f0a-8853a343711b.html?mode=comments

http://www.kvoa.com/news/rastafarian-thrown-off-amtrak-train-in-tucson-for-toking-sacrament/

He claimed it was medicinal and protected by religious freedom. Amtrak employees took his stuff off the train and left him at the Tucson station. It's a bit confusing since he claims it was a federal officer while one article says it was local police (where the city owns the station) that confronted him. Still, Amtrak cleared his stuff.

Reminds me of my ride on the Coast Starlight where someone was talking loudly on the phone about "bringing some good bud" back when he got to LA.

I thought Amtrak eliminate the turkey with their downgrading of LD dining car service. I have heard there was none on Thanksgiving, and I would love to be proved wrong for Christmas.

Thanks! Trip has been great and typically been running ahead of schedule. No Xmas Dinner but steak was excellent.

There was no turkey dinner on the Empire Builder yesterday, but the Seattle based crew was enthusiastic, played Christmas music and had decorated the serving area with overhead lighting.

The Havre chicken box was very popular and sold out very quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back