Christmas Is Right Around the Corner!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am taking the Sunset Limited to San Bernardino for the holidays. I will be taking my children 12 & 15. My son who is attending NYU got a North American Rail Pass and will be on the train as well. Does anyone know if there is wireless internet connection in Chicago? I love taking the train -- it is the only way to go and a great way to self-impose a period of total relaxation before jumping into the holiday hectics. I haven't traveled back to CA since I left in 99 but have been a frequent rail rider from Michigan to NY and CHI. I was sorry to find out that the route thru Denver no longer existed. I have never traveled the trains during the December holiday period but I would suspect that the trains are crowded -- is this correct?

Business is pretty heavy around Christmas time especially, but pretty heavy throughout all of December. Thanksgiving business will trail off on or about Decmber 2nd. It should pick up again along about December 19 as schools finish up for December, and last until about the 4th of January. Amtrak does usually add extra coaches to most trains, and on some trains an extra sleeper for the heavy business. One thing is for sure make sure you pack a good attitude in your carry on and you'll be fine. Sit back, relax, and enjoy the trip. :D

By wireless internet connection, are you referring to cellular services which include data (like Sprint or Verizon), or are you referring to "open" 802.11b access points?

K train--not sure what you mean by the "route through Denver no longer exisitng". If you mean the California Zephyr route from CHI to SF via Denver it is still alive and well. Perhaps you meant the Desert Wind from LA to CHI via Denver--- But I think it has been gone longer than 1999 so am not sure what you mean.

I realize you are traveling to the LA area, but one could travel one way to LA and come back from LA to SF and SF to CHI for a little variety. (that that would take longer, of course)

Hey! Copying my title is a copyright infringement! :D (Just kidding, of course!) B)

It IS still a little while before Christmas, though. We've gotta get through Thanksgiving first. I am glad to hear you'll be taking the Sunset Limited -- it's a great train, but one that everyone seems to enjoy picking on the most. Enjoy it while it's still around.

Yeah I think he means the Desert Wind as he mentions travel to CA from the midwest and east... the DW and Pioneer were cut 5/10/97 (anyone remember those cheesy inserts stuck in the 1997 travel planner :lol: )

Hi -- thanks for all your replys -- jc -- I am sorry for copying your title -- tell me where to send royalites. I was mistaken (not unusual). We are taking the Southwest Chief. I am looking for wireless internet connection - the 802 connection. The train I use to take was the one that went through Glenwood Springs, Colorado - my kids were little so I guess it must have been in the late 80's, early to mid 90's. Time flies when you are having fun. I wish I had the time to go up to SF and take the train back that way but I don't. K

I was just kidding! It's alll good.

I haven't been on the Southwest Chief yet (planning a trip on it 1/13/04) but I have heard good things about it. It makes the run between Los Angeles and Chicago in less time than any of the other Chicago-west coast long distance trains, (in terms of miles scheduled/hour).

The train you were on that went through Glenwood Springs must have been the California Zephyr. If you stayed onboard and the train went through Salt Lake, Las Vegas, and arrived in Los Angeles it was the Desert Wind section. If you stayed onboard and the train went through Salt Lake, Reno, and arrived in Emeryville (San Francisco) it was the main California Zephyr section. (I believe Salt Lake was where the Wind/Zephyr split, right? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong...)

JC Collins, you are remembering iit correctly. But there was also a train called the Pioneer which went to Portland. So, out of Chicago, you had a huge threesome of a train: the Califonnia Zephyr (to SF),the Desert Wind(to LA) and the Pioneer to Portland. They split at Salt Lake City. I have some photos of it(as a three in one train) on Viewliner's website, under the "Stations and other photos"section.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back