Cigarette Breaks on Coast Starlight

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first time posting, so forgive me if this question has been asked a lot before. We are planning our first long distance trip on Amtrak as a family in December (the day after Christmas) we will be going from Albany, OR to Anaheim. My husband smokes and is VERY nervous to be "stuck" on the train for a day and a half and not be able to smoke when he wants. I have assured him that there will be breaks every 5 or 6 hours to have a cigarette. Does anyone know which stops are the "cigarette breaks" so that I can mark them on a map for him?

Your husband should be able to smoke at Klamath Falls, which is a crew change point, Sacramento, Emeryville, Oakland, San Jose, and LA. Also smoke break stops are announced by crew members.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is my first time posting, so forgive me if this question has been asked a lot before. We are planning our first long distance trip on Amtrak as a family in December (the day after Christmas) we will be going from Albany, OR to Anaheim. My husband smokes and is VERY nervous to be "stuck" on the train for a day and a half and not be able to smoke when he wants. I have assured him that there will be breaks every 5 or 6 hours to have a cigarette. Does anyone know which stops are the "cigarette breaks" so that I can mark them on a map for him?
Check the schedules and you can look at the stops that have separate arrival and departure times- those are typically your best bets for a good smoke break. Other stops can be short and I've seen people get back on after only a few puffs. Smoke stops can be longer or cut short depending on how behind you are...

I have been trying to get him to quit for 10 years, I don't know that this trip will do it. On our honeymoon last year because of flight changes he wasn't able to have a cigarette break for 26 1/2 hours. That was not a very joyful start to a marriage. :p

Thank you all for the answers, at least I have a starting point to show him. You would think I would have to have the map for our 10 year old, but no, we need it for the dad!

Last edited by a moderator:
I worried about a cross country Amtrak trip next month, when I booked it this spring I was smoking for 37 years. I talked to my Dr about Chantix and it worked well for me. I even stopped the Chantix 2/3 of the way thru the program and I haven't had a lick of tobacco since. Of course, nothing is going to work until he makes up his own mind to quit.

Your husband should be able to smoke at Klamath Falls, which is a crew change point, Sacramento, Emeryville, Oakland, San Jose, and LA. Also smoke break stops are announced by crew members.
As a smoker and Coast Starlight veteran, I can add three more to the list: Salinas, San Luis Obispo (crew change good for a couple cigarettes), and Santa Barbara.

As a smoker and Coast Starlight veteran, I can add three more to the list: Salinas, San Luis Obispo (crew change good for a couple cigarettes), and Santa Barbara.
Personally the only smoke I like on a train is that off a diesel... but whatever- I understand you guys need your fix too...

I do find it annoying though when a train is running a tad bit late and smokers insist that, instead of making up time, we stop for a smoke- or for that matter the attendants on the long distance routes seems to be lambasted with people asking them at every stop if they can get off and smoke.

This is strange to find this thread!

I quit smoking 2 years ago & on my 11 day trip the thought of a cigarette crossed my mind at every smoke stop!!! :blink:

I do find it annoying though when a train is running a tad bit late and smokers insist that, instead of making up time, we stop for a smoke- or for that matter the attendants on the long distance routes seems to be lambasted with people asking them at every stop if they can get off and smoke.
Even as a smoker I agree that the behavior you describe - I've seen it too - is annoying. Rude and selfish as well. And it never seems to fail that some miscreant tries to snag a drag in a bathroom. Sometimes they get caught, sometimes they don't, but the whole train gets a lecture on the PA.

A few years ago, aboard the eastbound Lakeshore Limited, a sympathetic sleeper attendant said he wouldn't mind if I opened the vestibule window to smoke. I thanked him and opened the window, but not to smoke. More important to shoot pictures without dirty glass in the way!

I wait patiently for announced smoke stops, but when one comes along I'm the first one by the door, before the train stops rolling. "Smoke 'em if you got 'em!" HAHA!!

A few years ago, aboard the eastbound Lakeshore Limited, a sympathetic sleeper attendant said he wouldn't mind if I opened the vestibule window to smoke. I thanked him and opened the window, but not to smoke. More important to shoot pictures without dirty glass in the way!
I ain't going there with the smoking, but I didn't know the Viewliner's had vestibule windows that opened.

Even as a smoker I agree that the behavior you describe - I've seen it too - is annoying. Rude and selfish as well. And it never seems to fail that some miscreant tries to snag a drag in a bathroom. Sometimes they get caught, sometimes they don't, but the whole train gets a lecture on the PA.
remember if you get caught you be tossed off the train into the arms of waiting sherff deputys. that happend on the sunset limited. 2 guys kept going to the bathroom to smoke whole train got a lecture also one of them had WEED :eek: they were tossed off in the middle of nowhere into the arms of waiting police.

When I was onboard a 2-hr late Capitol Limited in the summer of 2007, the attendant, who knew I was a smoker actually approached me and told me I can have a cigarette witht the open vestibule. I know this is probably a bending of the rules, but he was a really nice guy and got a nice tip from me at the end of the trip.

When I was onboard a 2-hr late Capitol Limited in the summer of 2007, the attendant, who knew I was a smoker actually approached me and told me I can have a cigarette witht the open vestibule. I know this is probably a bending of the rules, but he was a really nice guy and got a nice tip from me at the end of the trip.

i guess that attendant likes putting his job on the line!

Aloha

Just think about quitting, how many more trains can you ride?

Not being a smoker, I always enjoy the floor show when a smoking stop is announced and smokers all jump up at once and head for the doors, cigarette in one hand and lighter in the other, waiting for the train to stop and the door to open. Superliners are a bonus as they all try to pile down the stairway at once. The "quick stops" are best when you see power smoking at its finest :)

i guess that attendant likes putting his job on the line!
Amtrak conductors and attendants, from what I've observed, love nothing more than to bend the rules in a way that would make any health and safety man have a heart attack. Long live Amtrak's on board staff culture I say!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back