Cincinnati station?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justinslot

Service Attendant
Coming west or east you're getting there in the middle of the night. Are there any enterprising taxi drivers waiting for you outside usually? I would hate to depend on Uber/Lyft at that hour to get to a hotel.

(I am plotting a trip to Louisville. Indy is about the same distance as Cincy, with slightly better hours coming from the east. It may be easiest, coming from the Philadelphia area, to simply go to Chicago and rent a car there. But I am curious how anyone who doesn't have a ride waiting for them gets from the Cincy station to wherever they are going at the weird hours the Cardinal arrives there.)

From the times that I've been to Union Terminal in Cincinnati, there are usually not any taxi cabs waiting during the times that the Cardinal arrives (IIRC). You may need to call for a taxi after arriving at the station.

I've always parked at the station when taking the Cardinal and didn't really take that much notice if there were any cabs outside. I do remember some people waiting outside after I've arrived back at the station, but I'm unsure of what their situation was.

Best bet IMHO, be prepared to call a taxi.

If you call a taxi before hand will they be there on arrival to the station on the train? I was thinking of calling them maybe 30 minutes from the station. Some other social media sites have mentioned Uber or Lyft but I really try and avoid gig rides if at all possible.
I know that with most taxi places, you can call them and tell them an arrival time of when you want the cab there.

Do note that with Cincinnati's station, there are no front-desk services. There are security guards there at the front of the building, so I would recommend calling while you are on the train getting close to CUT.

I'm also with you @McLeansvilleAppFan, I try to avoid those as well (but that's just me).

The train arrives into the station at 1A and 3A, so the taxi cab companies that service Cincinnati shouldn't be that busy, so there's a pretty good chance that you can request a cab to be there at a certain time.

If you call a taxi before hand will they be there on arrival to the station on the train? I was thinking of calling them maybe 30 minutes from the station. Some other social media sites have mentioned Uber or Lyft but I really try and avoid gig rides if at all possible.
I'm not anti rideshare but I wouldn't want to depend on it at late hours. One time the Coast Starlight I was on was incredibly late getting into LA, like 1 AM late, and in the second biggest city in America it took 45 minutes for a driver to take the Lyft call and show up. The non-passenger population hanging around outside LA Union Station that time of night is a bit socially challenged, to put it mildly.

Back