City of New Orleans 58/59

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

manchacrr

Lead Service Attendant
Does anyone know why the CONO was delayed at Hammond, LA? The southbound #59 arrived into Hammond at 1:39pm but did not depart until 5:13pm and the northbound #58 left New Orleans on time at 1:45pm but was held for over 3 hours on the siding in Kenner, LA. Simply put, what happened?

Hi,

Seems like something went just a weebit wrong between Hammond and Kenner....all active trains held up .

Any moment now we'll hear about a train going on the ground or a fatal grade crossing accident ( seems there is one of those almost daily recently, most involving poor Amtrak....).

Cheers

Claude

Actually, it was a drawbridge at Manchac, just south of Hammond, that became stuck in the raised position. Both CoNOL's were stranded for a time. By 4:45 PM CDT the bridge had been closed, however, and the trains were able to proceed.

Rafi

IIRC, the Bayou Manchac draw is quite old, and I'm sure Hurricane Katrina didn't do its draw works any favors either.

IIRC, the Bayou Manchac draw is quite old, and I'm sure Hurricane Katrina didn't do its draw works any favors either.
You are entirely correct...it also stays in the upright position all the time there are no trains. it's probably almost as old as me :lol: :lol: :lol:

I rode the CONO north from NOL on Wednesday afternoon- glad I was ahead of that delay. I was curious because I was riding in coach the six hours to Greenwood MS and noticed -actually on the way down as well- that no announcements of meals are made in the coaches--people seemed to be wondering. Are they announced in the sleepers? All of the stops weren't announced either and I asked about this and was told that if your car is not carrying people for a certain stop -for example Hazelhurst- no announcement is made in your car. I just thought that was different than other trains I have ridden.

You are entirely correct...it also stays in the upright position all the time there are no trains. it's probably almost as old as me :lol: :lol: :lol:
Oh No, I believe you misunderstood my post, the draw works are not THAT OLD..... :eek: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I rode the CONO north from NOL on Wednesday afternoon- glad I was ahead of that delay. I was curious because I was riding in coach the six hours to Greenwood MS and noticed -actually on the way down as well- that no announcements of meals are made in the coaches--people seemed to be wondering. Are they announced in the sleepers? All of the stops weren't announced either and I asked about this and was told that if your car is not carrying people for a certain stop -for example Hazelhurst- no announcement is made in your car. I just thought that was different than other trains I have ridden.
I'm sorry, but what you were told is utter nonsense. Yes, it is possible to just make an announcement in a single car, either by walking through the car and yelling like conductors of old, or by setting the PA to only broadcast in that car. But no conductor is going to do either for two reason. One, it's more work. Two, passengers for that stop could actually be in either the lounge or the dining car. If they don't get off, then the conductor is held responsible. So unless it's the middle of the night, train wide announcements are made for all stops.

My guess is that either the PA was broken in your car, or that the cables weren't properly connected. That's why you weren't hearing any announcements.

So now wondering why no announcements for meals in the diner.

Last edited by a moderator:
The PA was working because station stops were being called but not every time and I asked about that. Announcements were made for the snack car opening but never anything about dining car or dining car reservations. It was different from the usual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back