City of New Orleans, Pullman Style

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hope you don't mind me asking some questions please?

How was the air conditioning?

Did you do standard tipping at the dining table?

How was the actual ride - bumpy/smooth, etc......

Attire? I notice in your photos many people were casual and comfortable.

My 18-year old daughter wants to know if they have ice cream?

Thank you! Really enjoyed hearing about your experience.
AC was fine for me-woke up cold, because it was around 80 when we left New Orleans, 70 or so when I went to bed sometime after Memphis, but in the 40's when we woke up! Wasn't too cold, and the heat worked well once I turns it on in my room.
No, they provide a tipping envelope to share with the entire crew at the end, or you could specify how you wish to disperse it. No tips for meals or drinks until the end. I liked that, made it a lot easier.

Attire was mostly business casual, with jackets or sport coats requested at dinner.

Sorry, i didnt ask but I don't think they has ice cream, desert after dinner was a choice of lemon poppyseed muffin, or bread pudding (which was great!)

AC was fine for me-woke up cold, because it was around 80 when we left New Orleans, 70 or so when I went to bed sometime after Memphis, but in the 40's when we woke up! Wasn't too cold, and the heat worked well once I turns it on in my room.
Is the AC individually controllable per room, or is it like on the superliner that the best you can do is shut it off with duct tape?

I enjoyed reading your review Shortline. Could you share with us how much your fare was for your accommodations? Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, haven't been checking online much lately-I booked one of their advertised special fares, was actually less expensive than Amtrak coach for that same departure! Been a while, but I seem to think I had paid the special advertised price of $198 NOL-CHI one way.

Had booked a roomette for one (unlike an Amtrak roomette, Pullman roomettes were designed for 1 person only) but got fortunate, and was upgraded to the bedroom on the day of departure. Check their website for specials, it was extremely affordable, on the day I travelled.

Hey, Shortline. I am a total novice. Can you give the website name for this? I have seen trains 58 and 59 go thru my town with special heritage cars on rear, but always assumed it was a Corporate rate affair or something similar. Would like very much to learn more about booking on one of these trips. Thanks

I'm really looking forward to riding on the Pullman! The cars look great! Thanks for the photos and details. I'm sold!

Dave

Oh my, how will they stay in business if they are charging less than for Amtrak service??? And they still could not fill the four cars. Well, few people know it is available.

A few observations to update Shortline's excellent report based on my northbound trip a week ago.

There were four cars on this run; Belleview sleeper, Baton Rouge sleeper, Scenic View full-dome diner, and Adirondack Club square-end observation. I had booked a roomette but there were none in these cars, so they put me in a bedroom instead (maybe I should have booked the cheapest upper berth, since there weren't any of those either!).

I was a bit unclear how the tickets were supposed to work. Two days before departure I realized I hadn't received anything, so went to the web site and everything appeared to be in order, except for a notice that travel documents would be ready for download a week before departure – and they still weren't. So I called and left a message; never did get a return call, but an hour later the PDFs were in my inbox.

The Pullman crew made a grand entrance into the station and got us checked in and luggage taken to the rooms. There was a bit of a wait after that, and it would have been nice to have a dedicated seating area as arriving Amtrak passengers were taking the seats in the general waiting area that we had vacated. But soon enough it was time to board.

Got settled into the room and went to the dining car for lunch while Amtrak was boarding. Just as we pulled out of the station the conversation turned to the smoking cars on the old trains, and we came to a halt with a cloud of smoke and the smell of burnt brakes. Turns out someone had forgotten to connect the brake lines between Amtrak and Pullman. Oops.

Try to get a seat on the right side for lunch, for better views of Lake Pontchartrain and reduced solar gain on hot days. I wouldn't have noticed the fake flowers on the tables if not for Amtrak's cutbacks. The food throughout was very good.

Just into MS we came to a sudden stop on a siding, with the Pullman cars blocking a grade crossing. I looked out the railfan window and chatted with the Amtrak conductor, who was walking the tracks and advised that we might be there a while. There was an oncoming freight stopped on the single track main ahead of the siding. Eventually we reversed to clear the crossing, the freight went by and we were on our way. By this time we were nearly 1:45 late, and remained within about 15 minutes of that for the rest of the run, arriving CHI 1:28 late.

There was live musical entertainment in the lounge, old time songs and railroad tunes accompanied by guitar and ukelele. A classy touch.

Due to the delays Memphis was a bit later than usual, and I may have been the only Pullman passenger to get out and walk the platform. It's the only stop where this is an opportunity.

Slept very well and enjoyed the morning scenery in the flatlands of downstate IL; some familiar sights from my college days, but a different perspective from the train. Chicago came all too soon.

The tip envelope Shortline mentioned was nowhere to be found. I was expecting that and would have preferred it rather than tracking down a random crew member in the chaos of leaving the train.

Overall an excellent experience, and I'd consider doing it again, especially if they eventually have some runs on the Cardinal or Zephyr routes.

Railbuck my wife and I were on the southbound of that train (and on your northbound but we were in Amtrak bedroom for that (our window looked out on the small town fair going on, after an hour of staring at the corndog vendor I really wanted off to get a snack)), I'll put my run down here as perhaps a single "Pullman" thread might be most useful.

We boarded Thursday night in Chicago, as Railbuck mentioned there were four cars including the dome, we had the Adirondack Club instead of the Lake Ponchartrain as our club car. My wife and I's room was actually located in the Adirondack Club which was incredibly nice (we were real close to all the action). We were late boarding out of Chicago, some Iowa Pacific higher up came around and explained that now that they are a regular fixture on the rails they have to comply with regulations that they were temporarily exempted from before, in this instance that meant they had been madly bolting all the chairs to the floor. I think this also contributed to some confusion from the crew as we didn't receive our blue Pullman bag that contained the tip envelope until my wife asked shortly before New Orleans.

Leaving Chicago dinner was in the dome, you could order whatever dinner entree you wanted so long as it was steak. My wife said she was actually quite happy for this, she's not a steak person and would have ordered something different but because of the lack of choices she had the steak and really enjoyed it. We sat with another couple and had good conversation.

After dinner some people went to their rooms, others back to the club car where the folk musicians were getting under way. They were a lot of fun, and a nice addition to the trip. We only stayed for about 45 min. We'd been up since 5 AM eastern (grabbed the Cardinal to Chicago, then spent the day in city (made it back to the Museum of Science and Industry for the first time in over a decade, it lived up to my memories)) and my wife was getting very sleepy and didn't want to seem disrespectful to the musicians. I tucked her in then went back to the dome car.

The dome car was empty except for one of the porter's cleaning up/prepping for the next day. It was great, they turned off one of the light banks allowing for greater visibility (I didn't ask, they offered). We talked while he worked, he kept my scotch glass full, I watched the lightening out the windows, the signal lights changing as we rolled by. I eventually gave up and went to bed knowing I'd want to be able to enjoy the next day. The club car was empty, I may have been the last non-crew member to call it a night, it was wonderful the peace and quiet of just the train going over the tracks.

Next morning, up and to breakfast where we again had good conversation. I had the eggs and hash, my wife chose the omelet (and then regretted not getting the french toast). All was delicious. After breakfast we grabbed our books and headed back to the dome where we read and looked out the windows, again amazing views. I had a Bloody Mary that was delicious. Eventually we wandered back to the club car where the folk musicians were again playing music. We enjoyed conversation with another couple, the wife had lived in France during the last hey day of French cycling so as a lonely cycling fan in the midwest it was amazing hearing her talk about following the race in the 80s. She was also very much an art fan, and in general it was just a great conversation.

Lunch was served, I felt like for health reasons I should get the tomato with chicken or tuna salad, but my inner child who to this day loves grilled cheese won out, it was the correct choice. Again good conversation, this time with a father and son. After lunch a few drinks in the club car and we pulled into New Orleans.

Thoughts on the trip and Pullman:

If you are like us and doing Pullman one way and taking some other mode back (we took Amtrak) I'd recommend taking the Pullman first, we were quite tired by the end of our trip and I suspect would have enjoyed the trip less.

I got a good deal, 390$ not including tip, it's a phenomenal trip for that costing, my wife now expects me to get that rate going forward talk about high hopes. Personally I'd say it's worth the 780$ that the room regularly goes for on some days.

The room: I felt the beds were nicer, sheets softer than Amtrak. However the Amtrak bedroom (not roomette so not exactly apples to apples) is more usable and spacious. That said I think that's mostly irrelevant because we were in our rooms only to sleep or change clothes choosing instead to hang out in the dome or club car.

Pullman Porters: I've never been exactly comfortable with being "served" however they were the exactly right amount of helpful and friendly without being intrusive.

The food and drinks: excellent, I'd have a liked a dark porter/stout option in the beer department, but there's limited space on board. The food was all very delicious.

The music: while we didn't listen closely it was a very nice addition and I enjoyed talking to the musicians.

The travelers: my wife and I are both in our early thirties and with the exception of the son in the father and son duo were the youngest, also almost every group we talked to had someone who was interested in trains (with one exception, the couple with the French wife who just wanted a nice trip that was different and happened upon Pullman). Also the people on the trip were from all over, I had suspected it'd mostly be folks from the midwest. Talked with people from California, Montana, east coast (can't remember which state).

Pullman - I hope the company succeeds everyone I talked to gave off the impression that things are good and they are looking to expand. I know there are limitations, but I think a couple Pullman cars on the back several different Amtrak trains would be a very nice addition.

Thanks for the trip report... I have ridden Pullman once and I hope to ride again soon.

Was there any explanation why there was only one entree choice for dinner? In my mind that should never ever happen.

Great travel report! I really want to take a ride in a Pullman car one day. I'm actually taking a ride on the CONO in January on a date where there are Pullman cars! Unfortunately I'm going all the way from New Orleans to New York and need to use a redemption for it. Buying the Pullman + a roomette on the Cardinal would cost me $700 compared to a free trip, I'm already buying a roomette on the Crescent for pretty cheap. But I travel to New Orleans quite a bit... one day I will figure out how to get on to a Pullman :)

Was there any explanation why there was only one entree choice for dinner? In my mind that should never ever happen.
There wasn't though I didn't ask. The menus were printed so I'm guessing it's not an infrequent occurrence, otherwise I'd think you'd get a menu and the server would tell due to x,y, and z menu option 1 - 3 are unavailable or some such. My wife last night mentioned she thought there was a vegetarian option if you asked for it.

I understand how it could be upsetting to people, especially because of the menus they have posted online that have many options. It was a trip away for my wife and I so we rolled right with it, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt that all these things are just growing pains as they figure the service out.

Back