City of New Orleans

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have ridden this route numerous times. However, the last time I rode it was in 1995 or 1996.

How is the service?

What is the consist and where are the sleepers spotted on this train.

I got a rate of $328 for a round trip between Chicago and new Orleans in the sleeper, this is amazing.

I leave on Friday, February 27 and return from New Orleans on February 29.

Of course, a trip report will appear when I return.

Hi there,

Well, I get to see 58 maybe once a week as it passes the New Orleans airport, and the consist is usually something like this: 1 Loco, 1 Baggage Car, 1 Transition Sleeper, 2 Sleepers, 1 Diner, 1 Sightseer Lounge, and 3 Coaches. I have seen it run with a reverse consist with the baggage car at the very end of the train and the lone P40/42 loco attached directly to the first Superliner car.

I don't have specific numbers as far as the train's patronage, but ridership has been up.....the City posted a double-digit ridership increase last year if i'm not mistaken.

Steve/NOL

Thanks, with that low fare for the sleeper, I'm sure those are always full.

Too bad the coaches are on the back. However, you can bet I will walk back there to watch the tracks.

Steve, just out of curiosity when are you planning on travelling? I too got a deal on my transportation to Chicago, FTL-JAX-NOL-CHI for $372.60 for two people. Not a bad deal.

battalion51 said:
Steve, just out of curiosity when are you planning on travelling? I too got a deal on my transportation to Chicago, FTL-JAX-NOL-CHI for $372.60 for two people. Not a bad deal.
Depart Chicago February 27 (Friday) on 59

I arrive New Orleans on Saturday February 28.

I depart on February 29 on 58,

Arriving Chicago on March 1

I'll be on it June 21. I paid $994 for round trip from Chico, CA to New Orleans via Chicago. Seems to be about the same rate given above. The current price is about $1500.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back