City Of New Orleans

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TishaNola

Train Attendant
I was trying to use search to find other post about the train but search says i cant use words that only have 3 letters :(

Anyway my daughter and I had our first train ride Aug 6th on the crescent , our next trip is to Chicago for the day to go to the American Girl Doll store.

we have a Superliner Roomette each way on the way there we have car 5800 room 8 and the way back car 5900 room 5 .

When we get to chicago how far is it to the American Girl Doll store on Michigan Ave :( from the station ? would it be easier to take a cab or to take the metra or a bus . I am very easy going and im not afraid of my daughter and i being in chicago alone all day mom and daughter day it will be fun if planned right :)

I was trying to use search to find other post about the train but search says i cant use words that only have 3 letters :(

Anyway my daughter and I had our first train ride Aug 6th on the crescent , our next trip is to Chicago for the day to go to the American Girl Doll store.

we have a Superliner Roomette each way on the way there we have car 5800 room 8 and the way back car 5900 room 5 .

When we get to chicago how far is it to the American Girl Doll store on Michigan Ave :( from the station ? would it be easier to take a cab or to take the metra or a bus . I am very easy going and im not afraid of my daughter and i being in chicago alone all day mom and daughter day it will be fun if planned right :)
You can take the CTA Route 151 bus direct from Union Station to American Girl (which I believe is now in the Water Tower Place shopping center).

It is in water tower place. I was there a few days ago. Plan to spend several hours there to get the whole experience.
our whole trip is based on going to the store so I PLAN SPENDING many hours there . My daughter is going to get her hair done with her Doll and have lunch with it :)

If you and your daughter are not afraid of height's check out the glass ledge in the WIllis (sears) Tower

If you and your daughter are not afraid of height's check out the glass ledge in the WIllis (sears) Tower
My daughter & I hope to do this when we're in Chicago for a layover between connections. How much time should I allow? If the CL is on time, we should have 4 hours available (may try to go to Mass first). Speaking of Mass, what are the closest Catholic churches to station?

My daughter & I hope to do this when we're in Chicago for a layover between connections. How much time should I allow? If the CL is on time, we should have 4 hours available (may try to go to Mass first). Speaking of Mass, what are the closest Catholic churches to station?
Your best bet is probably St. Peters in the Loop, which is also in the general direction of Michigan Ave. from Union Station. Another Catholic church near Union Station, but to the west, is Old St. Patrick's.

Your best bet is probably St. Peters in the Loop, which is also in the general direction of Michigan Ave. from Union Station. Another Catholic church near Union Station, but to the west, is Old St. Patrick's.
I was thinking Old St Patrick's since it seemed to be the closest (based on my earlier "research"). Any particular reason (travel, safety, etc) that I should consider St Peters over Old St Pats?

Hmmm, what a good idea! Maybe I will switch our trip home and spend an extra day there and do the same with my little girl!!!

Any particular reason (travel, safety, etc) that I should consider St Peters over Old St Pats?
Only that St. Peter's is closer to the Willis Tower and Michigan Avenue (if you're going to American Girl). Both are in areas that are perfectly safe at any time you'd be attending church. As far as architecture goes, Old St Patrick is a classic 19th century neo-Gothic church with lots of stained glass, while St. Peter's in the Loop is a post-WW2 streamlined moderne church.

Any particular reason (travel, safety, etc) that I should consider St Peters over Old St Pats?
Only that St. Peter's is closer to the Willis Tower and Michigan Avenue (if you're going to American Girl). Both are in areas that are perfectly safe at any time you'd be attending church. As far as architecture goes, Old St Patrick is a classic 19th century neo-Gothic church with lots of stained glass, while St. Peter's in the Loop is a post-WW2 streamlined moderne church.
Thanks. I have put the info for both in my travel folder. The Mass times will also factor into my decision...will check them online closer to our travel date.

Of course, if the weather is not good (will be there in Nov), we'll probably just hang out at the station. We won't be doing the American Girl (though she might be interested...not going to stress myself out any more than I have to...to make sure we get back to the station in plenty of time).

I'm thinking St Peter's is the church my husband and I went to many, many years ago (mid-to-late 80's) when I went to Chicago to spend the weekend with him as he was there for a two week training class. All I remember about it is that it was "wedged" between office buildings.

Sorry TIshaNola for hijacking your thread.

we are not afraid of heights :)

though im pretty sure my roomette on our train is going to be in the second floor and that worries me a bit because of the swaying of the train :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back