CL (29) vs LSL (49)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been away from this forum for quite a while.

I have the opportunity to book a return AGR bedroom from MIA-DEN.

I've never traveled AMTRAK on the east coast, much less a veiwliner.

I have the option of the SM (98) to connect with either the CL in WAS or the LSL in NYP to CHI. Then the CZ on into Den.

I'm leaning to the SM-LSL-CZ option. Being that it has more viewliner time

Thoughts and advice will be apprecated.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I have done both and while the long layover in DC is nice for some sightseeing, getting off the train so early is not very pleasant. If they get in extra early, you are expected to depart then.

I'd rather stay on until NYC, get breakfast on the train and then have lunch in Manhattan. The trip up to Albany on the LSL is very scenic too.

I tend to agree with Dart. The ride on the LSL from NYC to Albany is quite scenic along the Hudson River, no matter the season. If you are in a sleeper, the challenge is being on the side that looks out over the river--others can speak to that better than I can, but I suspect it tends to be a bit haphazard whether or not the rooms are on the scenic side. This is definitely a good way to go if you are wanting to try out a viewliner.

It also sounds like the timing might work out a bit more nicely for sightseeing in Chicago if you take the LSL.

On the other hand, I haven't been on as many superliners (I live in upstate NY, tend to visit family in Indiana or further east), and I would jump at the chance to ride on the CL. But that's my situation.

This sounds like a fun trip! Have fun!

Have done both (coming off the Crescent northbound and the Meteor northbound). As was stated previously, if you want more train time, go to NYP and take the Lake Shore to Chicago. If you want some time seeing the sites of DC, then of course, the Capitol Ltd is your train. Train 29 CL gets to Chicago earlier by about an hour or so than the LSL so you would have marginally a little more time in Chicago on the CL.

In the summer, there is plenty of light to Cumberland, Md and beyond for some very nice scenery. Same is true for the Hudson River on the LSL.

Whichever you choose, you can't go wrong--as long as you are on an Amtrak train :p :p

The sleeper on 49 is usually lined up for even numbered rooms being on the left side. I've been 2 for 2 with that strategy. Of course something could happen and it's reversed. But I would still go with an even numbered room.

The Viewliners on the LSL are a step up from the Superliners on the CL, giving much more room on the upper berth. But the CL gets a Sightseer much superior to the Amfleet Lounge. So, go for the LSL if you want a better Sleeper, go for the CL if you want a better Lounge.

I'd have to agree with what you're thinking. LSL is always a nice route if you have it for an option. I also love the viewliners. There's so much HEAD ROOM and if you're travelling with someone who'll need to top bunk, it doesn't feel like a coffin, lol. I've also noticed these trains are generally cleaner than the superliners.

Cleanliness depends on the cleaning crew at each base. Of course, its probably easier to clean a Viewliner because it isnt as tall as a Superliner car is.

With your scenario, Id probably recommend the LSL, more train time is better than having to wander around DC. Although last time I rode the LSL it was an hour and a half late into CHI. If that wont ruin your plans, then by all means, go for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I vote for the LSL. You will have some time in New York while transiting to the LSL.

Enjoy your trip.

Depending on what day of the week you choose to travel Meteor-Cardinal-Cal Zephyr is another theoretical option...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back