CL sleeper car numbers

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amtrakmichigan

Lead Service Attendant
So I just booked a bedroom on #30 CL departing on Wednesday night and was able to get the lowest bucket on the Bedroom. The E-ticket shows I'm in room E of 3002. My question, is this the crew dorm car or does the CL run with a seasonal 3rd sleeper? I thought the crew dorm was number 3009. And all the times I have rode the CL it has always run with 2 revenue sleepers (3000, 3001) plus a crew dorm.

Perhaps someone will correct me, but I don't recall ever seeing a bedroom for sale in a trans-dorm, just roomettes. I think some of them have an H room and a room 15 (Family Bedroom), but I don't know if those get sold. E is a regular bedroom on the upper level of a superliner sleeper, I think it's the one without the movable wall (A-B, C-D) for creating suites, but I'm not sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Having ridden the CL numerous times I have not been on train with a 3002 car but they may be adding an extra sleeper. I believe it is true there are only roomettes available in the dorm car. They may be adding extra cars for upcoming important events in DC (AU Gathering :p or the Million Man March both coming up in a couple of weeks.

Consist info from here on AU (likely out of date) showed the transdorm to be 3009 with 3000 and 3001 being the regular sleepers. 3002 was possibly an "added" sleeper. I was in the 3001 sleeper in August and didn't bother to take a look at the car ahead of ours. Our return trip a week later was in the 2900 sleeper.

A transition sleeper has no bedrooms, only roomettes. However, a regular sleeper can replace a transition sleeper as the crew dorm if no transition sleeper is available. I would be surprised if this was scheduled far enough in advance to be useful, but OP was booking only three days out, and perhaps someone at Amtrak can see consists that far into the future.

I have a feeling you might be right Bill about the idea of another sleeper was added. Yesterday there wasn't 4 bedrooms available on this train. In fact I think there wasn't any bedrooms available. However early this morning there was a minimum of 4 available.

I just checked this train's sleeper availability on its return trip back to CHI as #29 on Fri Oct 2. All rooms are completely booked out of WAS. I checked the station pairs of WAS - RKV. So maybe they are adding this 3rd sleeper for a special event / tour out of DC on Fri. Instead of deadheading it to WAS they probably figured they could make a few extra bucks by selling some rooms from CHI to WAS on Wednesday.

PVD: Very close, but not quite. Room A is the one without the movable connecting wall. Connecting rooms are B-C and D-E. All-deluxe cars on the Auto Train also have bedrooms J-K, L-M, and non-connecting room N.

Tom

Perhaps someone will correct me, but I don't recall ever seeing a bedroom for sale in a trans-dorm, just roomettes. I think some of them have an H room and a room 15 (Family Bedroom), but I don't know if those get sold. E is a regular bedroom on the upper level of a superliner sleeper, I think it's the one without the movable wall (A-B, C-D) for creating suites, but I'm not sure.
None of the transition cars have a rm 15, and only a few have a Hdcap room, but not enough to keep track of to actively sell.

I tried to book a roomette sometime during the week of 10/4 CHI to PGH and return Cumberland to CHI five days later. Every day either one or both ways were sold out. Must be those crazy DC and Chicago cyclist trying to get in on the revolutionary new roll-on bike service. :giggle:

I was able to reserve roomettes departing CHI 10/3 and returning 10/8, but landed in room 19 in the 09 car both ways. In literally 100's of LD trips, I've only experience the transition sleeper 1 time, and that on the EB during July.

I now see more roomette availability. So they could have added a third sleeper.

I can never quite figure out the swings in demand. Coming home from Arizona on the SWC I did CHI to NYP in a bedroom on the CL (connecting to the regional in WAS) for less than a roomette on the LSL. I certainly didn't complain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back