CLB - MIA for disabled passenger; accessible taxis in Miami?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dixie

Train Attendant
I'm hoping you all can help me brainstorm this in addition to some on-the-spot research I'll do on the train this weekend.

My parents and sister's family are cruising out of Miami in November and they would all like to take Amtrak from Columbia SC to get there. The schedule actually works out well for both directions. There are 5 people in all: my senior citizen parents, my sister and her husband, and my 8yo niece.

The biggest kink in the plan is that my dad is disabled to the point where he requires an ECV or wheelchair for walking distances of more than a few feet. I haven't called Amtrak yet to see what they say, but I understand that they can load an ECV in the baggage car, or that a passenger can take it in coach with them.

I've boarded at CLB a few times but have never paid attention to their handicapped loading facilities there. There is absolutely no way my dad can step up into a train, so there has to be some kind of platform or lift to get him up to the train. He can barely manage a 1-2" threshold. I've never been to the Miami station so I don't know what to expect on that end.

I am taking the train from Columbia to Kissimmee this weekend, so I plan to ask a lot of questions at the station and of the conductors on board to get their perspective.

But I have a few questions for those who might have personal experience of traveling disabled, or accompanying a disabled passenger, or who have even observed disabled travel.

- How is the Miami station equipped for loading/unloading of handicapped passengers? Lifts? Ramps? Or... ?

- What about wheelchair accessible taxis in Miami or other transportation that could move them and the ECV to their hotel and to the port the next morning?

- Are there any accessible sleeping compartments? I realize if there are, they would be booked first come, first served and might not be available anyway.

- With five passengers, there would be no way to make 2 sleeper compartments work would there. You would have to get three compartments, and someone would still be the odd man out. Otherwise, two compartments and someone is in coach by themselves for the trip if I understand the system correctly.

Thanks so much for your help! I'm sure I'll have more questions.

- What about wheelchair accessible taxis in Miami or other transportation that could move them and the ECV to their hotel and to the port the next morning?

I used to drive a cab in Key West. By law, all cab companies must have wheelchair accessible taxis. The issue is that they don't have to be convenient. The company I worked for had one that had a lift and we would in turn lease it to any other company (for a hefty fee) that needed it so they would technically be in compliance.

Miami is a big city and they have many cab companies, so how to choose one that won't be a hassle? My guess would be to call them up and ask. Most will probably try to put you off, but some will be cooperative and make an appointment to meet you at the station in Miami. After all, they spent big bux on the equipment, why not make use of it?

Good luck on the trip!

--

Bud

I don't know about Miami, it has been over 10 years since I took Amtrak there, but they did get me and my wheelchair on and off the train OK somehow.

Accessible taxis are difficult to find everywhere, so set that up in advance. A web search listed quite a few. If possible, take transit, this link has info. Miami's transit was nearly all accessible when I was last there and should be even better now. If neither of those work, get signed up for paratransit in advance. It helps if your dad is already certified in his home area even if he doesn't use it.

"Access Miami" is a guidebook for people with disabilities, mostly residents, but you might find the transportation page useful. If your dad likes beaches, he'll want some time in Miami to check out one of their beach wheelchairs that can be pushed on sand and even into the water (see the beach page). The local ILS can say what taxis (or even specific taxi driver) usually work out the best.

There is one wheelchair accessible compartment in each sleeper car. On the Viewliner, you have to keep moving the wheelchair back and forth because it will alternately block the bathroom door and the hallway door (both doors swing into the room and reach all the way to the bed.). On a Superliner, it is easier to park it out of the way. I took several Superliner trips with my mother, her large scooter (48"x24"), and my manual chair, and it was crowded but we made it work. The H-rooms are reserved for people who need them until two weeks before departure, however they often get filled early, same as accessible parking spots (same reasons), so don't wait. Remember to take advantage of the 15% disabled discount for your dad and one able-bodied helper.

I've taken coach on both Superliners and Viewliners, and they both work fine.

When you reserve with Amtrak, have size and weight information about any assistive devices. Tell them you'll need help at both stations, then arrive early and check in at the window to remind them you need help. I recommend doing this even if they say you don't need to.

There are some rooms that will hold more than two people, someone else will tell you about them.

I discovered with my mother that there was no better way than a train to take her on a trip. The more disabled she became, the more we liked Amtrak trips. I hope your dad has the same experience!

In terms of getting on and off the Silver Star or Meteor that you'll be taking in a wheelchair it uses single level Amfleet and Viewliner Cars. At stations with low-level platforms (both of the stops your getting on and off at) able bodied passengers go up 4 steps into the car. For passengers who are unable to climb up the steps the crew will put the trap back up over the steps able bodied passengers use (and used at high-level platforms that don't apply to your trip) and the crew will use a manually hand-cranked mobile lift (no electronics to break down like an elevator that can break) to crank up the wheelchair passenger in their wheelchair normally onto the train. Amtrak's website lists size and weight (combined rider and chair can't be more than 600 lbs.) restrictions.

The lower berth in a Viewliner Accessible Bedroom is extra wide, Amtrak allows sharing and the room can sleep 3 people so with 3 and if you don't mind being tight you could do the Accessible Bedroom and another Roomette in the same car (the regular bedrooms are between the Roomette and Accessible Bedroom). I don't know the comfort level just looked up the rules

I would highly recommend letting Amtrak know that your dad will require special assistance and the wheelchair lift to get on and off the train. The train crew and station staff will be prepared for your arrival, and will be more than happy to accommodate your needs, but it helps for them to be prepared instead of rushing at the last second. Be cognizant of that weight limit though, I know from personal experience some of those motorized wheelchairs are extremely heavy, and depending on your dad's weight you may be running up against that 600 lb mark...

Thanks for the recommendations, everyone. I'll be calling Amtrak today to chat.

In doing some research, I see that the new MIA station at the MIC is supposed to be up and going by the "end" of 2013. My family would be traveling mid-November. Anyone think mid-November would see the new station? My guess is no...

I was with friends who rented a car out of there in February after a cruise and didn't even realize where I was (hey, they were driving!) Now I wish I had paid more attention!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back