CLE to MIA

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith1951

Service Attendant
I'm going to go from Cleveland to Miami. I went CLE - NYP - MIA years ago. The 2 trains were connected on my booking. Now when I try and book it, they want me to go CLE - WAS - MIA. Why can't I go thru NYP? The only way I can do this now is to book the trains separately. Anyone know why this is?

I'm going to go from Cleveland to Miami. I went CLE - NYP - MIA years ago. The 2 trains were connected on my booking. Now when I try and book it, they want me to go CLE - WAS - MIA. Why can't I go thru NYP? The only way I can do this now is to book the trains separately. Anyone know why this is?
Most likely because there is no same day connection available via New York.

You were probably on the Silver Meteor out of NYP. The Meteor is cancelled, thru the end of May as of now. The Silver Star, which is taking the place of itself and the Meteor, runs earlier.

If you're trying to do a round trip, there is no connection at all from FL to points west, because the Star runs later northbound, and is scheduled to arrive at WAS just 1 hour before the Capitol Limited leaves. An overnight in either NYC or Wash DC is required.

You were probably on the Silver Meteor out of NYP. The Meteor is cancelled, thru the end of May as of now. The Silver Star, which is taking the place of itself and the Meteor, runs earlier.
Even the Silver Meteor when it is running, does not provide a same day connection from the LSL at NYP.

you cannot make the connection in nyc (in the past i have done it , but you cannot now...we usually just plan to spend a night in my favorite city...DC!, but i travel with kids

Years and Years ago I remember 97 leaving NYP at 7:00pm as they had the equipment make a same day turn, but 97 has been on the earlier schedule for a solid 10+ years. As of now, the only connection is in Washington with the Capitol Limited as the OP noted, which is still a pretty good 2 hour connection I wouldn't hesitate to book.

Years and Years ago I remember 97 leaving NYP at 7:00pm as they had the equipment make a same day turn, but 97 has been on the earlier schedule for a solid 10+ years. As of now, the only connection is in Washington with the Capitol Limited as the OP noted, which is still a pretty good 2 hour connection I wouldn't hesitate to book.
I'd hesitate to book the Cap/Texas Eagle( soon to be a Run through Train from Washington to San Antonio) due to the Short consists, ( 1 Sleeper,1 CCC, 2 Coaches with No Sightseer Lounge)High Bucket Fares and Flex Meals being slung in the CCC for Sleeper Passengers.

YMMV

Back