Cleaning windows

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, I had not heard of these. My last trip on the LSL, the windows were absolutely filthy, you could not see out at all if there was any sun on them at all. I was planning to bring a small bottle of windex and some paper towels to clean them this year if my roomette is on the platform side at Penn Station (last year it was, I have an even numbered roomette again this year).

I'll pick up some of these instead!

I have a 3' pole which collapses to 2' and fits in my bag; I think I can reach to about 9' with it if I stretch. If I have to go higher, I'll have to take the 5' pole (which collapses to 3'), and either find some way to strap in onto my scooter or leave the zipper on my bag open enough to let it stick out a foot (but that might interfere with towing the bag behind the scooter.)

No high platforms heading north from FL, but Amtrak says PHL has high platforms on the return trip, if I'm on the proper side and there's enough time after boarding.

This past July, when boarding the Cardinal in WAS for a trip to CHI, my window was filthy. Thankfully, it was on the platform side, so I grabbed some paper towels from the bathroom (VII bag/slpr) and wet some of them down, and did the window from the platform. At 6'0" tall, I had to stand on my tip toes and 'stretch' to get the top edge of the window. I didn't have much time to 'dry' the window as the attendant was telling me to board immediately.

I recalled my experience as a gas jockey in the '60s and we cleaned every window on every car, even for $1.00 worth of gas ($0.259-0.299/gallon back then! We kept a big suppy of clean cloth 'rags' (12x12 piece of edged flannel, professionally cleaned by some company) folded in quarters, 1 side for 'wet' and the other side for dry. Flip it over when either side gets too dirty/wet and use the former 'inside' half to keep on going. On snowy/sloppy days, we'd get 4-5 cars per rag before getting a clean one. On the train, I simply used 2 paper towels for wet and 3 for dry.

Window cleaning is reason #2 why I ask for a lower level roomette on Superliners. #1 reason is proximity to toilets and shower!

Essential equipment for Amtrak travel - Squeegee with and extension pole and a bottle of Windex? 😬
If there's room in your luggage...

I intentially travel as minimally as possible, and between the 'overhead' airline size 4-wheel roll-on and a gym bag I put on top, I don't have room for any window cleaning items. I can put 5-6 days summer clothing in just those...shirts, pants, underwear, socks, scanner, laptop, chargers, candy, bathroom items, 3-4 inflatable pillows, 3 soft travel blankets 30x60, give or take, and a compressed pillow as well! Can't forget wood shims and gaffers tape. Oh, and an old pair of mocassins that I used to wear around home...got to be comfortable! There's simply no space for anything else.

As a former hotel housekeeping manager, and from my experience on Amtrak, the greasy (diesel exhaust) dirt on a train window will ruin a washcloth. I bring my own rags to use to clean my windows if I have a downstairs room.

Attachments

• 23132-11e8a96afd6e76affe049ffa4fb99f2e.data.jpeg
    23132-11e8a96afd6e76affe049ffa4fb99f2e.data.jpeg
    40.1 KB · Views: 0
I love this! What are you bringing for cleaning fluid? Do you have some kind of bucket? What's the reaction of your SCA likely to be? If I see this on our upcoming trip I'm going to ask to borrow. Heck, I'll do your window if I can use it to do mine!

I'm trying to minimize the amount of baggage, so I'll just bring a single device that has a scrubber on one side and a squeegee on the other, and the 2-3' pole. Hopefully that will get me at least halfway up the Viewliner window.

And I think I'll try just water, maybe poured on from a bottle grabbed from the coffee station. I've read that water actually works pretty well with a good scrubber. I probably won't get the window perfectly clean, but perhaps enough to see out. It's a learning experience.

And I'll bring a Ziploc bag so I can take off the scrubber cover and stuff it in before stashing it in my bag.

ETA: just thought of something: if the lounge is open 5 minutes before the station, maybe a cup of hot water allowed to cool a bit would work better than room temp from a bottle,

Back