Cleveland Amtrak Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rile42

Lead Service Attendant
I use the Cleveland Amtrak parking lot several times each year during my Amtrak travels without any worry at all. My neighbor's future son-in-law, is a police officer in one of the Cleveland suburbs. Over the weekend, he was visiting and told me I shouldn't park there on my next trip. He said there had been quite a few car break-ins there lately.

I have not heard of anything like that (although I live outside Columbus) and have not found any evidence of anything like that on the internet. Has anyone heard of any such incidences lately? I know there was one problem back in '08 or '09.

Not that it'll deter me from parking there. I just want to know if the guy really knows as much as he thinks.

I use the Cleveland Amtrak parking lot several times each year during my Amtrak travels without any worry at all. My neighbor's future son-in-law, is a police officer in one of the Cleveland suburbs. Over the weekend, he was visiting and told me I shouldn't park there on my next trip. He said there had been quite a few car break-ins there lately.

I have not heard of anything like that (although I live outside Columbus) and have not found any evidence of anything like that on the internet. Has anyone heard of any such incidences lately? I know there was one problem back in '08 or '09.

Not that it'll deter me from parking there. I just want to know if the guy really knows as much as he thinks.

I inadvertantly left my car unlocked for four days with ski equipment on a trip on the LSL. Upon return, I discovered my car and equipment had been.....totally ignored.

There was a report on here from maybe a year or two ago of an incident where several cars were indeed broken into in CLE's parking lot. But I've not heard of any additional breakin's since then. Not saying that there haven't been, just that I've seen no reports.

A good friend of mine just had his car broken into at Cleveland Amtrak Station on Sept 10th, while running the LSL.... Busted his side window out, quick smash and grab. Don't know what they got, but he's still out a window.

Last edited by a moderator:
A real professional would have stolen the car.....without breaking it. Then again, he couldn't really drive it once he broke the window, obvious suspicion.

It looks like it's just some small-time crooks.

Lol. It's still a hassle whether they are professional or unprofessional criminals that break into your car.
The thing is, IMO, professionals are more dangerois when you are their target, but unprofessionals are more dangerous when you are just a bystander at the scene.

We just returned from a 10 day trip CL/CZ and left our car at CLE. We have made numerous long term trips leaving our car at the station lot without incident to our car.

There was a rash of breakins back in the winter and spring of 2009, one of which resulted in a smashed window of a friend's pickup truck. The criminals did not get anything except some music CDs laying on his seat. There were about 10 cars that were broken into that evening. I do not know if the police caught the bandits, but the agents said that the incidence of breakins had ended soon afterward.

Three years later it is sad to hear about another breakin. I would suggest that anyone leaving their car at the lot, not leave anything of value on the seat, dash, etc. Lock toolboxes, any valuable items in your trunk. And of course, lock your doors.

Leaving GPS, stereo equipment, etc in view is an invitation to small time hoods (people mostly looking for drug money). :angry:

I know of no incidence where cars were actually stolen. The lot is gated and locked between 1pm and 9:30pm each day, but is open in the early morning hours because the CL and Lake Shore come in at ghastly times 1am--2am 3am 5:30am. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back