Close Call

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AMTRAK-P42

Conductor
Just wanted to share with you what I saw on my way home from school today.

I was on Lenox rd. (Bill, you might be familiar with this crossing), its a busy CSX line that runs right into the main yard here in Atlanta. I was the third car in line as the crossing gates began to go down. Almost immediately I heard the horn, so I put the brake on and stepped outside to grab a photo, as I just happened to have my camera with me. After about 20 seconds, I noticed the person in front of me getting very ancy in their car, throwing up their hands, etc. They decided they had enough, and they pulled out around the 1st car in line, and sped towards the crossing gates that were fully down. They swerved around the crossing gates, and the next thing I knew, the engineer had his horn blasting. Within 2 seconds of the bumper clearing the crossing gate, the lead unit shot by. Everyone in line had put their hands over their eyes, as we were almost certain it was a reck.

Wow, close call!

:blink:

In England I've noticed that in some places they have crossing gates that extend across all lanes of traffic. But then I've heard people complain that you could get caught between those gates and not be able to get out. Of course, if I was between them and the train was coming no little gate would stop me from getting out of the way. But it does keep people from driving around gates if they can't get around them. Here in Dallas we've had two recent fatalities with people getting hit by the light rail train when they drove around the gate.

BNSF_1088 said:
Did a frozen six pack of water hit that idiot that is an Amtrak special down here you act stupid you get a frozen 6 pack of water thrown at you. :angry: :angry:
Could you say that again in English please. :lol: B)

panamaclipper said:
In England I've noticed that in some places they have crossing gates that extend across all lanes of traffic. But then I've heard people complain that you could get caught between those gates and not be able to get out. Of course, if I was between them and the train was coming no little gate would stop me from getting out of the way. But it does keep people from driving around gates if they can't get around them. Here in Dallas we've had two recent fatalities with people getting hit by the light rail train when they drove around the gate.
A gate is a deterent if a person wants to be stupid enough to drive around it and get killed so be it. Unfortunatley it effects more people then that idiot because the engineer has no way of stopping the train in time and he/she has to live ith that horror for the rest of their lifes. :angry:

BNSF_1088 said:
battalion51 said:
BNSF_1088 said:
Did a frozen six pack of water hit that idiot that is an Amtrak special down here you act  stupid you get a frozen 6 pack of water thrown at you. :angry:   :angry:
Could you say that again in English please. :lol: B)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol:

Ok guys, well it's my Spring Break (Thank G*D!!) and im headed down to Aruba early tomorrow morning until late next Saturday night. Just wanted to wish everyone the best, and let you know I will be absent from the chat for about a week unless I get to an internet cafe.

Take care guys!

P.S.-Their is exactly 0.0 miles of rail in Aruba, so no train this time! :lol:

If you caught a picture of that idiot going around the gates while he was doing it I would send a copy to the Atlanta Police Department I'm sure they might be interested in it and might be able to send that moron a nice fat ticket...Happy Holiday from the City of Atlanta now pay up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back