Close connections...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cristobal

Lead Service Attendant
I'm making a trip up to Reno and back in a few weeks time and I just find it kinda funny that Amtrak offers up a connection between the CC and the CZ of only 7 min at EMY (a weekend trip, arrive EMY 9:03 AM, depart EMY 9:10 AM).

I've ridden this CC train (#724 which overnights at SJC) many, many times and I almost always see the CZ sitting in the Oakland yard ready to roll as we go by. Except for this one time when a little motive power issue on the #724 caused some delays. :eek:

So, does Amtrak put enough confidence in the OTP of the CC trains (supposedly tops in the country) to allow this connection? A missed connection on the outbound of this trip means waiting 2 hours at EMY for the next CC and taking it to SAC for a bus trip to Reno. That would actually get me to Reno only about 10 minutes behind a (on-time) CZ but it certainly wouldn't be the same as relaxing in a roomette while watching the snow banks go by. :(

I'm just curious as to the criteria used at the Amtrak website for how much layover time is required for a given route.

I don't think that would be considered a "guaranteed connection". I would consider a earlier CC, if their is one. Or overnighting in EMY. Just to be sure you make the CZ. Just my two pennies.

I don't think that would be considered a "guaranteed connection". I would consider a earlier CC, if their is one. Or overnighting in EMY. Just to be sure you make the CZ. Just my two pennies.
There is no earlier CC train on weekends and this is offered up at the Amtrak website when I say "GAC to RNO" (no multi-city BS on my part). Doesn't that make it a "guaranteed connection"?

There is no earlier CC train on weekends and this is offered up at the Amtrak website when I say "GAC to RNO" (no multi-city BS on my part). Doesn't that make it a "guaranteed connection"?
I'd say call Amtrak and ask. I wouldn't think so. 7 minutes is way to close.

I'm not too worried about it. It's only a 1 hour trip from GAC to EMY (with only 4 stops in-between and the 724 originating in SJC about 15 minutes earlier) and there does appear to be a backup plan should all else fail.

I just found it curious that a 7 minute layover is even considered do-able on Amtrak's website. Hell, I probably won't even bother to walk inside the EMY station after stepping off of the 724. :D

As I understand it, if it's offered on the Amtrak web site as a valid itinerary between two endpoints, it's considered a "guaranteed" connection. Of course, "guaranteed" just means that, if you miss it, Amtrak will haul you to your destination. Also note that the connection is the Capitol Corridor's to miss, not the Zephyr, and the CC does have stellar OTP. You said there's a CC-Thruway connection to Reno within an hour- it wouldn't cost Amtrak much to say "Whoops- get on the next Capitol. No worries."

I think the connection is all up to the conductors. Here's my experience about "close connection."

I rode the train #5, Omaha, NE to SAC(man, this trip was one of my worst experiences of Amtrak train ride, I mean the worst car attendant.... but I won't take about here.) back in November 2010. My train was more than 2 hrs late into SAC and My next train was #704. The departure time was 4:55PM, from SAC to BFD. About 30 mins before arriving into SAC, I asked my conductor,"is there anyway #704 wait for me" but he said,"no, because it's too close".

The train #5 arrived at SAC at 4:57PM. My conductor made a last mins contact with #704, announced that #704 is waiting for the train #5 passengers. wow, I thanked to the conductor that he made a very last min call. There were about 10 passengers transferred to #704 but no one even requested for the next connection except me.

As I understand it, if it's offered on the Amtrak web site as a valid itinerary between two endpoints, it's considered a "guaranteed" connection. Of course, "guaranteed" just means that, if you miss it, Amtrak will haul you to your destination.
No, not necessarily. One is able to book rides from the Downeaster in maine to any southbound regional train, and it shows up as a "connection" via self transfer on the MBTA in Boston on the orange line from North Station (BON) to Back Bay (BBY). However, it is clearly indicated with the service disruption symbol that it is NOT a guaranteed connection.

I would think that in the case of the OP, that his booking would be a guaranteed connection.

I know we are talking USA here, and Amtrak specifically, but you would be AMAZED at the connection times on some European rail lines, seven minutes is more the NORM. (Swiss Railway's in particular)

It occurred to me this morning that maybe the reason that Amtrak allows this as a 'natural' connection is that the 724 may be given priority over the 6 into EMY. So, on Saturdays and Sundays, the 6 sits in the Oakland yard and waits for the 724 (even with a slight delay) to pass before being told to roll on into EMY. I think this for a couple of reasons. First, there may be, like myself, some pax from the San Jose area using the 724 to connect to the 6. Second (and perhaps more importantly) is to keep the 724 from being delayed even further by being stuck behind the 6 (which makes fewer stops between EMY and SAC but with much longer dwell time at each station than the 724). I'd also guess of course that with a very serious delay on the 724 prior to Oakland all bets are off.

Anyway...

That's my theory and I'm sticking to it. :D

While on the topic of connections:

Is an 18-minute connection between Keystone and SEPTA bus at Exton OK?

While on the topic of connections:

Is an 18-minute connection between Keystone and SEPTA bus at Exton OK?
The timetables for SEPTA's suburban buses look very nice, don't they? They're useful for only two things: the route map and the headways at any given time of day. As for the actual time it says a bus may be in any given location, well, sometimes it's right, but then so is a stopped clock.

seven minutes is more the NORM. (Swiss Railway's in particular)
7 minutes is generous, some connection times are even less, 5 minutes at Zurich Hbf anyone? :lol:
I once was connecting between ICE trains at Ulm, Germany. My train was to arrive and I had a scheduled 5 minute connection, cross-platform. My friend and I got off the train, and sure-enough, standing across the platform was another ICE train. We almost got on, but at I was worried, and decided to check a platform sign, and it was a different train. It departed, and right on time, ours pulled in, allowing pax from the arriving ICE to transfer across the platform to the one we had left.

7 minutes might work in Europe, but not in the US. You might get lucky but who knows. In Europe if you book a reservation on DB Bahn.de be sure and look whether or not the "prefer fast connections" block is checked. If it is they will typically book you with only minutes to spare between trains. I had an ICE from Frankfurt airport to Nurnberg that only allowed 15 minutes to connect with the train to Chemnitz and the train was 12 minutes late. I was litterally running to make the connection and I only made it because a nice lady on the train translated the announcements for me and told me what platform my connecting train was waiting on. I no sooner sat down than the train left the station. Whew.

Seven minutes would be a good connection in Japan, too. I've never seen such efficient and on-time service as the Japanese system. When you approach a Japanese platform you look for the car number painted on the floor. Stand right on the dot and the door to your car will be THERE. Just get on the train that arrives at the right time, even if you can't read the signs.

I had an ICE from Frankfurt airport to Nurnberg that only allowed 15 minutes to connect with the train to Chemnitz and the train was 12 minutes late. I was litterally running to make the connection and I only made it because a nice lady on the train translated the announcements for me and told me what platform my connecting train was waiting on.
I could have told you it's platform 20. Seriously, the bahn.de website you mentioned lists the platform numbers for each connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back