Closest Stations

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Riding the Northeast Regional the other day got me thinking about the closest Amtrak stations served by the same train.

New Haven State Street and New Haven Union Station are the closest that I can think of. Can anyone think of stations that are closer?

Riding the Northeast Regional the other day got me thinking about the closest Amtrak stations served by the same train.

New Haven State Street and New Haven Union Station are the closest that I can think of. Can anyone think of stations that are closer?
Might help if you tell us how close those are (miles/time/whatever your using to determine closeness)

WIL (Wilmington, DE) and NRK (Newark, DE) are 10 mins apart

BAL (Baltimore, MD) and BWI (airport) are 11 mins apart

How about North Philadelphia and 30th St Sta
4 miles. That is already one mile more than Newark Penn to Newark Airport (at 3 miles). There is of course Berkeley to Emeryville at 2 miles too. There are a few 2-3-4 miles in the Surfliner Corridor too I believe.

Boston Back Bay to Boston South Station is 1 mile, but I think New Haven State Street to New Haven is it as far as shortest distance goes.

Last edited:
How about closest stations actually traveled from and to? I know there was that guy who paid $90 to ride the first sleeper from South Station to Back Bay...

I routinely travel 26 miles and one-half hour from Bellingham to Mount Vernon because I often have to overnight at the beginning and end of my train trips to connect with the ferries. There is a nice hotel close to the station in Bellingham, but my wife picks me up in Mount Vernon.

There was a time when you got a minimum of 100 points for any segment.

Long gone are those days. When that changed there were serious pitch forks out on AU and at least one poor guy associated with AGR at that time was summarily crucified as if he made the decision personally. The completely uncalled for and uncivilized name calling that ensued got pretty bad and kept the mods busy for a while. 🤷‍♂️

I looked at a Saturday, and it looks like you could do eight segments starting from State Street for a total of $8. But you would spend all day doing it - from 7:15 AM until 9:54 PM. Starting from Union Station only gets you six segments in one day.

Niagara Falls ON and Niagara Falls NY are a half mile apart and Covide aside you can buy a ticket between.
Sure enough, Google maps shows the walk to be 0.5 miles - so we have a winner by 0.1 miles.

Scheduled for five minutes - but factoring in immigration/customs, I wonder how long it would really take to actually get out of the station.

How about closest stations actually traveled from and to? I know there was that guy who paid $90 to ride the first sleeper from South Station to Back Bay...

I routinely travel 26 miles and one-half hour from Bellingham to Mount Vernon because I often have to overnight at the beginning and end of my train trips to connect with the ferries. There is a nice hotel close to the station in Bellingham, but my wife picks me up in Mount Vernon.
I have on a couple of occasions ridden the 17 miles and 32 minutes between Seattle and Edmonds. My sister lives near Edmonds and on those occasions I first rode to Seattle from Spokane, spent a couple of days in Seattle, then rode up to Edmonds. The price of a ticket is much less than Uber or Lyft. In 2024 the light rail system in Seattle will extend to Seattle, which will eliminate that short run for me.

I looked at a Saturday, and it looks like you could do eight segments starting from State Street for a total of $8. But you would spend all day doing it - from 7:15 AM until 9:54 PM. Starting from Union Station only gets you six segments in one day.
Sounds like the 'mileage runs' people used to do to qualify for elite status on airlines, back when they used to base elite status on miles instead of dollars. Never did it myself, though I did once sit next to a guy who was doing two round trip cross country flights in a day for miles. :rolleyes:

Too bad Amtrak doesn’t let you qualify for elite status based on segments.

View attachment 24006

Not any more. The 100 point minimum was mentioned. It was also a maximum of 400 points per day based on minimum point segments. I got to Select and Select Plus primarily on the basis of minimum point segments. When I bought 10-ride tickets, I was getting maybe 224 points for that $112. 10 rides with half of them split up yielded me 1500 points, and often I'd just find a discount code.

I never saw any $1 fares, but I could force an extra segment by using multi-city. My fastest was once when I was just looking to get up to Select and booked RIC-EMY-SFC-EMY-RIC on a weekend 50% off special for $12 round trip. BKY-EMY-SFC-EMY-BKY would have been a little bit cheaper, but there's only about 2 minutes between Berkeley and Emeryville where a conductor might not meet up with the passenger. But the trip I had took less than 2.5 hours. If I missed the ride back I could have just taken the next one since it was unreserved.

Sounds like the 'mileage runs' people used to do to qualify for elite status on airlines, back when they used to base elite status on miles instead of dollars. Never did it myself, though I did once sit next to a guy who was doing two round trip cross country flights in a day for miles. :rolleyes:

There were a few tricks to that too. United actually had a revenue flight from Oakland to San Francisco. The key was that it counted as a single segment, or a minimum of 500 miles. That was the shortest regularly scheduled jet flight anywhere.

It may not be as close (or as cheap as STS-NHV, but BKY-EMY is about 2 miles apart and scheduled to be a 4-5 minute trip. That may be the shortest in terms of ride time. Now sure why the former has a 7-8 minute scheduled ride time.

There were a few tricks to that too. United actually had a revenue flight from Oakland to San Francisco. The key was that it counted as a single segment, or a minimum of 500 miles. That was the shortest regularly scheduled jet flight anywhere.

It may not be as close (or as cheap as STS-NHV, but BKY-EMY is about 2 miles apart and scheduled to be a 4-5 minute trip. That may be the shortest in terms of ride time. Now sure why the former has a 7-8 minute scheduled ride time.
I think I was on that flight once. I don't remember if it was UAL, but I flew them a lot in those days. I was working in the East Bay (Hayward, IIRC) and was flying in and out of SFO for some reason. I knew my flight home to Boston was a direct one-stop flight, but I didn't know where the stop was. From the hotel, I drove by the Oakland airport on my way to the San Fransisco airport, dropped off my rental car, checked in at the terminal, sat down at the gate and looked at the big sign. My jaw dropped when I saw the one stop was in Oakland! If I had known, I would have slept an extra hour or two on going home day, and returned the car in Oakland (about 45 minutes closer to my hotel, given the big loop south, across the bridge and then north to SFO) and the 1 hour or more later departure from Oakland. I still laugh when I think about it.

In the old days, flights in Texas routinely stopped in both Ft Worth ( Amon Carter Field) and Dallas ( Love Field)

I dont think they even raised the gear for the hop, then you had to change for flights to Austin, Houston and San Antonio.

I also flew out of the old Mueller Airport ( now a Luxury Housing Village) in Austin to Vegas with a stop in San Antonio that flew straight down I35 for the 20 minute flight !!!

Not any more. The 100 point minimum was mentioned. It was also a maximum of 400 points per day based on minimum point segments. I got to Select and Select Plus primarily on the basis of minimum point segments. When I bought 10-ride tickets, I was getting maybe 224 points for that $112. 10 rides with half of them split up yielded me 1500 points, and often I'd just find a discount code.

I never saw any $1 fares, but I could force an extra segment by using multi-city. My fastest was once when I was just looking to get up to Select and booked RIC-EMY-SFC-EMY-RIC on a weekend 50% off special for $12 round trip. BKY-EMY-SFC-EMY-BKY would have been a little bit cheaper, but there's only about 2 minutes between Berkeley and Emeryville where a conductor might not meet up with the passenger. But the trip I had took less than 2.5 hours. If I missed the ride back I could have just taken the next one since it was unreserved.
Originally there was no 400 point limit. That came after some punter managed to do some ridiculous number of very low cost segments on the Keystone as I recall. 🤷🏻

Orlando and Winter Park are 5 miles apart. Kissimmee and Orlando are bit further apart. Back in the days of the 100 point minimum, I did numerous points runs between ORL and WPK and quite a few between KIS and ORL.

Back