CNN Broadcasting Live from Beech Grove

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony

Founder
Honored Member
"CNN will feature the work of employees at Beech Grove Locomotive and Car Shops as they broadcast live from the shops tomorrow morning, beginning at 6:18 am EDT."

I will be wide awake---for once this will be something I can watch. My TV timer comes on at 5 a.m. I am not always up at that time, depending on what else I have to do that day....but will definately be home at 6.18..

I must see this, its cool that CNN is doing this, but one question, which show, Headline News or the main CNN channel, which show is it? :)

amtrakadirondack said:
I must see this, its cool that CNN is doing this, but one question, which show, Headline News or the main CNN channel, which show is it? :)
No idea - I would assume the main CNN channel, though.

It's going to be hard to drag myself out of bed for that, but I'll try. I'm going to have to Saturday morning to get ready for P098, so it shouldn't be TOO bad.

battalion51 said:
It's going to be hard to drag myself out of bed for that, but I'll try. I'm going to have to Saturday morning to get ready for P098, so it shouldn't be TOO bad.
I saw it, wasn't bad, had some decent footage.

I saw and was glad they did not capitalize on wrecks. But they made the usual confusion between "trains" and "cars"---all of these "trains" out here. They sort of did not get the menu thing---I believe they thought it had as much to do with improvement of quality as with more variety. The interviewer's closing remark was about"microwaveable hamburgers". Of course there is the usual mis-understanding that it is the long distance trains that are the losers. I sort of had my problem with it, I guess...though it was great to see the visuals and good to know the work is being done.

I must also say that from what I saw, Beech Grove looked cleaner and more modern than I expected. Glad to see that, as well as when the reporter was in the car. :)

Bill, I too was not to happy about the "microwaved hamburger" comment, somebody obviously didn't do their research at CNN. <_<

Viewliner said:
Bill, I too was not to happy about the "microwaved hamburger" comment, somebody obviously didn't do their research at CNN. <_<
I totally agree, being on a long-distance Amtrak train is not like being on a plane. For example, Amtrak serves grilled chicken breasts (Some trains), and airlines serve a chicken thing made of everything but chicken. Amtrak’s food 100%, Airline food -500,000%, I would have thought CNN would have done better research. <_< <_< <_< <_< <_<

Viewliner said:
I must also say that from what I saw, Beech Grove looked cleaner and more modern than I expected. Glad to see that, as well as when the reporter was in the car. :)
Beech Grove looked very organized and clean.

The chances that the lady had ever rode on Amtrak unlikely and micorwave "meal" jokes are very common among rail critics.

Many of the shops are very clean and organized. Sanford (while it is much smaller) is very clean, and very safe for the guys. While Sanford doesn't do major wreck work like BG, they are still some of the finest mechanics that Amtrak has.

battalion51 said:
While Sanford doesn't do major wreck work like BG, they are still some of the finest mechanics that Amtrak has.
Based upon an interesting fact that I learned from my sleeping car attendant Woody, it would seem that they are indeed quite good. Woody told me that it was the guys at Sanford who created the 4 Auto Train lounges. They were modified from dining cars into lounges.

While I still personally prefer a sightseer lounge over the AT lounge, for practical purposes the AT lounge is a better fit for the Auto Train as it allows for overflow seating from the diner. The construction was certainly solid and comfortable.

For my trip I got to see both. We had a sightseer going down and a AT lounge coming home. Interesting note, is the fact that the Sanford shops also altered the sightseer lounge by adding an enclosed smoking area downstairs.

AlanB said:
For my trip I got to see both. We had a sightseer going down and a AT lounge coming home. Interesting note, is the fact that the Sanford shops also altered the sightseer lounge by adding an enclosed smoking area downstairs.
Alan,

I think the only reason you saw a regular Sightseer Lounge is because one of them was unfortunately destroyed in the derailment in April 2002.

And yes, I agree that Sightseer Lounges are more preferable than the converted diners used on the Auto Train. I find them more comfortable. It could be that given the point-to-point nature of the route, where everybody on the train boards and detrains at the same place, the large picture windows of the SSL are unnecessary because most of the trip is in the dark.

Yes the 33100 was wrecked in the AT derailment last April, but is in BG now. In fact it was even seen in the CNN nit last week. At as also converted Sightseer 33035 to AT use by placing booths in one half of the car, but the 33035 is currently down at E Clean is Sanford. The lounges also feature movie systems as well as the bartender upstairs. I went in the 33101 (also in the Derailment) last October, here's a shot as seen on my website.
Auto%20Train%20Lounge%2033101%20Interior.jpg

Superliner Diner said:
AlanB said:
For my trip I got to see both.  We had a sightseer going down and a AT lounge coming home.  Interesting note, is the fact that the Sanford shops also altered the sightseer lounge by adding an enclosed smoking area downstairs.
Alan,

I think the only reason you saw a regular Sightseer Lounge is because one of them was unfortunately destroyed in the derailment in April 2002.

And yes, I agree that Sightseer Lounges are more preferable than the converted diners used on the Auto Train. I find them more comfortable. It could be that given the point-to-point nature of the route, where everybody on the train boards and detrains at the same place, the large picture windows of the SSL are unnecessary because most of the trip is in the dark.
SD,

It wasn't a regular Sightseer Lounge, it was one that has been specially enhanced for AT use only. It was modified to include a special smoking section downstairs. For this reason it is only assigned to the AT car pool and does not see service on the rest of Amtrak's routes.

Ps. The 33101 lounge in B51's picture was in both consists for my trip.

I like the Auto Train lounge and somewhat prefer it over a Sightseer. I like the variety of seating, the upper-level bar, and the over all feel of the car. The Sighteer Lounge, while great for viewing scenery, was somewhat loud (nothing to absorb the sound) and limited table seating makes it hard to sit down and enjoy a meal or play a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back