Quantcast

Coach Ridership on Auto Train

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

Usually take sleeper service on the auto train but won't be able to do that this time for a trip on short notice. Does anyone have any sense of the ridership in coach on the autotrain these days? Specifically, would I be better off in lower level or upper level coach seats in light of whatever social distancing Amtrak is employing right now (trip in next week). Finally, when Amtrak on the website says a train is 25% full, is that based on total number of seats available right now, or total number of seats available during non-pandemic times? Thanks for any information you can provide.

roadman3313

OBS Chief
AU Lifetime Supporter
Hi. I'll be on the Auto Train in a few days and can try to walk to coach to get a data point for you. As for the percentage, it is the percentage of the total train so 50% means 50% of the total number of seats (normal times), not just the available seats (pandemic available). So when it shows 50% it means 100% of the available seats which is 50% of the total or every other seat filled ("Sold Out"). Hope that helps.

OBS

Conductor
AU Supporter
On the Auto Train you will always be better off on the upper level, just due to the nature of the passengers....ie older, physically challenged, more likely to be seated on lower level of coaches.

jersey42

Service Attendant
Does anyone have any sense of the ridership in coach on the autotrain these days?
I took the Auto Train in October and December. In both instances it was Northbound. At that time of the year I would expect much heavier ridership in the opposite direction. That said, on both trips, coach ridership appeared to be minimal. I could see through many of the windows, and I saw only a handful of passengers. On one one of the trips they announced the number of passengers broken down by sleeper and coach. I don't remember the exact numbers, but I believe it was about 2/3 sleeper and 1/3 coach. YMMV depending on when you are traveling and in which direction.

OBS

Conductor
AU Supporter
I took the Auto Train in October and December. In both instances it was Northbound. At that time of the year I would expect much heavier ridership in the opposite direction. That said, on both trips, coach ridership appeared to be minimal. I could see through many of the windows, and I saw only a handful of passengers. On one one of the trips they announced the number of passengers broken down by sleeper and coach. I don't remember the exact numbers, but I believe it was about 2/3 sleeper and 1/3 coach. YMMV depending on when you are traveling and in which direction.
That sounds pretty reasonable, but also A/T consists are adjusted on a daily basis in Sanford based on the R/t ridership requirements.