Coach Seat Question - Cardinal vs Capitol

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Meenie

Train Attendant
Are the coach seats on the two trains the same? I rode the Capitol once and they weren't too comfy - I wound up sleeping in the observation car. I'm riding the Cardinal next week and understand there is no observation car :( That was not good news :(

Are the coach seats on the two trains the same? I rode the Capitol once and they weren't too comfy - I wound up sleeping in the observation car. I'm riding the Cardinal next week and understand there is no observation car :( That was not good news :(
They are different: the Capitol uses double-deck Superliner equipment while the Cardinal runs with single-level Amfleets. Which is more comfortable is a matter of personal opinion. I tend to prefer Superliners myself but your mileage may vary. Both have plenty of legroom. The other gotcha on the Cardinal is that it runs with a half-cafe/half-diner that fills up once you hit Indianapolis and pick up the local IND-CHI traffic.

I'd go the Capitol over the Cardinal if youre going CHI-WAS... just because the Capitol is a quicker ride... something I'd look at if going coach. Then again, the Cardinal is more scenic and could be worth the extra time if you dont mind the extra 4 or 5 hours on the train.

They are different: the Capitol uses double-deck Superliner equipment while the Cardinal runs with single-level Amfleets. Which is more comfortable is a matter of personal opinion. I tend to prefer Superliners myself but your mileage may vary. Both have plenty of legroom. The other gotcha on the Cardinal is that it runs with a half-cafe/half-diner that fills up once you hit Indianapolis and pick up the local IND-CHI traffic.
I guess half cafe/half diner isn't good news for me :( since on the Capitol I slept in the Observation car <sigh> I do really hope the coach seats in the Cardinal are better. The tray is on the back of the seat right? So when you recline your seat, what happens to the stuff on the tray? Seems like the person by the window is trapped. I'm feeling claustrophobic already, lol.

I'd go the Capitol over the Cardinal if youre going CHI-WAS... just because the Capitol is a quicker ride... something I'd look at if going coach. Then again, the Cardinal is more scenic and could be worth the extra time if you dont mind the extra 4 or 5 hours on the train.
I'm going Charlottesville to Lafayette, Indiana. I live in Portsmouth, VA so it's a 3 hr drive to Charlottesville.

I'm going Charlottesville to Lafayette, Indiana. I live in Portsmouth, VA so it's a 3 hr drive to Charlottesville.
Oh ugh, I just discovered that I went to Orlando from Richmond VA about 15 years ago on the Silver Star and it's the same set up as the Cardinal :( The dining area was always packed and the coach seat was awful :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back