Coast Starlight Boarding in Seattle

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oreius

OBS Chief
I am scheduled to depart Seattle with my parents at 9:45 AM. How do they do boarding for the Starlight? Do they board sleepers first? I’ve read that they used to give a welcome reception on the train in times past—or was that the Empire Builder?

I know I’m playing “20 Questions” but I’ve never been on a Western train and my mom has mobility issues.

So first of all, the platforms are not accessible on your own, they keep the doors closed. When it's time to board, they will announce it and begin boarding. Not sure who goes first, I'd assume sleepers first.

They board sleepers before coach and disabled first.

The train usually opens for boarding about 30 minutes before departure at Seattle.

There is no welcome reception onboard. I don't recall one even when they were running the PPC, but am not positive. There certainly is not one now.

They did have wine tasting in the PPC back in the day in the afternoons, but that was never characterized as a welcome reception. Southbound on the first day it was done after departing Portland.

Last edited:
The “welcome reception” was a complimementary bottle of champagne or sparkling apple cider. It was delivered by your SCA. This was provided on both the Starlight and the Empire Builder along with the cloth bag amenity kits, enhanced dining car services (chef special entrees on the menu, “real” plated and glasses, etc.), as well as the complimentary wine tastings provided in the PPC / Dining Car.

Don’t worry.. Anderson made sure all of that was properly disposed of!

The “welcome reception” was a complimementary bottle of champagne or sparkling apple cider. It was delivered by your SCA. This was provided on both the Starlight and the Empire Builder along with the cloth bag amenity kits, enhanced dining car services (chef special entrees on the menu, “real” plated and glasses, etc.), as well as the complimentary wine tastings provided in the PPC / Dining Car.

Don’t worry.. Anderson made sure all of that was properly disposed of!

So much for "experiential" train travel!

You can avail the services of a "red cap", who will take you and your parents plus luggage out to the train on a mobility cart. Sleepers are usually boarded first, folk with mobility issues normally the very first.

When you arrive at Seattle, go to the Amtrak desk/counter to let them know about the mobility issue, and that you're sleeping car passengers, and ask for a Red Cap if you wish. They'll then give you instructions about boarding.

Seattle is particularly good on boarding people with disabilities first, in my experience there. In fact, once when I was traveling with a partly healed broken ankle and still using a cane, one of the staff proactively approached me and asked if I needed help in boarding, and assured me that I'd be boarded early, along with my husband. I hadn't planned on needing assistance, but it was nice to have it offered.

Latest posts

Back