Coast Starlight Discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could it be to balance available equipment somewhere else in the system ?
I think I read of 7 & 8 weathering storms in the high plains (Dakota/Montana)
or was it Idaho/Washington.
Amtrak doesn't have the luxury of a spare train set to run everything as
planned when something crops it's ugly head up and messes things.

On a related note, this weekend, Jan 13 and 14 Metrolink is performing track work on the line in Ventura and Los Angeles Counties.
This will affect both the Pacific Surfliner and Coast Starlight. I believe I read that the CS will be terminating/originating in Emeryville those days.
https://www.pacificsurfliner.com/plan-your-trip/alerts/travel-advisories/#trackclosures
Coast starlight is showing cancelled SEA <> LAX till Monday. However, would only take that at a 75% reliable.

Hi, I am looking at taking Coast Starlight from Sacramento to Portland. When I’m looking to book, there are very few dates with private rooms available, and virtually none with roomettes. I was playing with the Amtrak website and noticed that the roomettes were available from the next stop after Sacramento (I.e. CIC). If I booked a coach seat from SAC to CIC, then the roomette from CIC to PDX, is that going to work? I assume the only reason the roomette isn’t available at SAC is due to it being recently vacated and needs to be cleaned. Will I have to wait until CIC to get into the roomette, or would they allow me earlier access once it has been cleaned/ Any advice? Thanks

Back