Coast Starlight hits truck in Ventura County CA, partially derails (6/28/23)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diner and two Sleepers derailed.

11 is holding at Salinas. No determination yet as to what they will do with it, since it ain't getting to LAX today.

That's going to hurt. While in theory those cars shouldn't be sidelined for all that long, they will still require a full inspection of the running gear before being put back into service and any minor repairs made. Hopefully, this can all be done at 8th St in LA. But Amtrak also seems to be unable to get routine required inspections done, so who knows?

11 is holding at Salinas. No determination yet as to what they will do with it, since it ain't getting to LAX today.
I'd expect they ether run the train back north to Oakland or they get the train to SLO and have it wait there, there is a crew base there so a decent location to hold it, Ventura could also work for that if they took a crew who normally ran a metrolink train

I'd expect they ether run the train back north to Oakland or they get the train to SLO and have it wait there, there is a crew base there so a decent location to hold it, Ventura could also work for that if they took a crew who normally ran a metrolink train
The question is whether they will try to do a bus bridge and continue the service of 11 and 14 for the day or two it will take to restore the trackage or cut back to Oakland with no alternative transportation south. The normal tendency these days may be the latter, specially will equipment shortage further exacerbated by the derailment.

Good photo showing the damage to #300.

https://www.baynews9.com/fl/tampa/transportation/2023/06/28/amtrak-train-derailment-moorpark
Additional information from Amtrak...

#11 will terminate at Oxnard today. Tomorrow #11 will terminate at Emeryville. No information on alternative transportation yet. I guess from Emeryville the LAX folks can be shipped off on a San Joaquin - Bus routing, and Oxnard can be handled as part of whatever is being done with Santa Barbara/SLO service.

Last edited:
The question is whether they will try to do a bus bridge and continue the service of 11 and 14 for the day or two it will take to restore the trackage or cut back to Oakland with no alternative transportation south. The normal tendency these days may be the latter, specially will equipment shortage further exacerbated by the derailment.
there is at least a lot of coach bus operators amtrak already works with in this area.
SLO would mean they can get fuel and crew

Good photo showing the damage to #300.

https://www.baynews9.com/fl/tampa/transportation/2023/06/28/amtrak-train-derailment-moorpark
Additional information from Amtrak...

#11 will terminate at Oxnard today. Tomorrow #11 will terminate at Emeryville. No information on alternative transportation yet. I guess from Emeryville the LAX folks can be shipped off on a San Joaquin - Bus routing, and Oxnard can be handled as part of whatever is being done with Santa Barbara/SLO service.
Just saw on Twitter where #11 of 6/30 has been entirely cancelled.
Not good under any circumstances but, with a holiday weekend coming up some people may be out of luck.

or be stuck on a coach bus down to SLO or SB where the surfliner could take them to Camarillo
Not good under any circumstances but, with a holiday weekend coming up some people may be out of luck.
that makes sense as that this would be the set running it

the scramble to find spare cars happens again

11(30) would have been the turn of the 14(28) accident consist. 11(27) is turning today at Oxnard, becoming 14(29) tomorrow, although it looks like they are going to deadhead it up to Emeryville to turn it. That'll be 11(1) Saturday.

They've pretty much got until 7/2 to pull together a replacement consist in LA. An ugly thought just hit me. Taking a sleeper off the three remaining consists gets two sleepers for a make up consist and a spare.

Last edited:
11(30) would have been the turn of the 14(28) accident consist. 11(27) is turning today at Oxnard, becoming 14(29) tomorrow, although it looks like they are going to deadhead it up to Emeryville to turn it. That'll be 11(1) Saturday.

They've pretty much got until 7/2 to pull together a replacement consist in LA. An ugly thought just hit me. Taking a sleeper off the three remaining consists gets two sleepers for a make up consist and a spare.
I've seen quite a few cars sitting in the amtrak yard. Be interesting to see what they can pull together. Amtraks really going to need to push to get some cars that are ready to be shopped though beach grove
Pacific Surfliner site saying Amtrak trains will not operate north of LAX until at least tomorrow afternoon, but anyone affected can use Amtrak tickets from LAX to Moorpark via Metrolink.
VCTC has a few routes you can chain togother to get to/from santa barbra. VCTC is normally good about holding for connections if you let them know which one

On July 9th the SWC brought 2 trainsets on a mega trainset so I think LAX should have no problem finding cars to build a entire trainset for 14 out of LAX. I also know there was plenty of cars in SEA too when I took 8 back from SEA on the 14th alao they probably have spares in Oakland too one would have to assume.

Here's the AP coverage of the story:

https://apnews.com/article/amtrak-t...nty-moorpark-1ff715a6889fb5b0cd1ddaba3fffcb60
Parts of the demolished Ventura County Public Works truck were scattered all around the derailed train cars. McGrath initially said the truck’s driver was believed to have gotten out of the vehicle before the crash, but later clarified that the circumstances leading up to the wreck weren’t known.

“No one’s talked to him, so the whole situation is still being investigated,” he said.

US needs to start enforcing laws against level crossing violations seriously. As in cameras, and loss of license/registration for a year or two if you run the gates plus fines equal to 10% of the value of your vehicle.
In addition to more fines I'd suggest whoever owns a vehicle caught fouling a crossing should have to reapply for any licensing, bonding, and accreditation required to remain in business and must raise their insurance high enough to cover all costs likely to occur from impacting a train in the region of operation.

...the circumstances leading up to the wreck weren’t known...
Individually the circumstances are not yet known. Collectively is it easy to see that America's trucking/shipping companies, construction/maintenance firms, and farmers represent 99% of the threat to life, limb, and property at grade crossings and that the fault almost always lies with the vehicle owner or operator.

Ventura doesn't have a station, just a platform. Oxnard makes more sense.

Back