Coast Starlight LA - Portland

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TVRM610

Conductor
Sitting in the Portland Station, just off the Starlight. What a lovely trip, I finally got to ride in a Parlor Car (my previous attempt had a Sightseer Substitute).

I was on the right side of the train which I was happy for since that meant I could wake up to views of Mount Shasta, the Sunrise hitting the snow on the peak was just lovely.

Saw dozens and dozens of Pelicans both on the Coast in California, and along Klammath Lake. Also saw a Bald Eagle flying over the lake.

Parlor Car attendant was Darren. He was wonderful. I had Lunch and Breakfast in the Parlor and went to the wine tasting. He was professioanal, personal, and had a fun sarcastic sense of humor. (He told us during the wine tasting that those of us with sophisticated pallets may detect a hint of grapes in these wines). I really can't speak highly enough of Darren. He's great.

Now the dining car crew.... Oh my. Carmella was the LSA... Her announcements were very demanding, her "welcome into the dining car" was waving someone on and then saying abruptly "sit here side by side"

For dinner the waitress scolded the passengers across from me for filling out the tickets wrong and then said the whole "want mashed baked or rice". How hard is it to say "would you like Mashed Potatoes, a baked potatoe, or rice pilaf?"

I mean we are not in a cheap cafeteria line here, have some class.

The dining car staff did look professional and at least they took reservations and operated the diner in a sensible way. The food was very good.

Sleeping car attendant was good. Not over the top friendly but he was always around when needed, always had coffee, juice, and ice out, and was almost always in or near his room with the door open so you knew where to find him. Indeed when I called for my bed he was there in about 10 seconds.

Met some lovely people, and feel very accomplished getting to ride the Parlor Car. It's a lovely piece of equipment. And of course loved the scenery as always.

Beautiful trip and good report of it! I was on the CS just last week and you described everything perfectly! I don't mind the SCAs not being right underfoot either and especially as long as they keep that coffee going! Some people don't love Amtrak coffee but it works for me.

Back