Coast Starlight Northbound June 13

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I decided to take this trip to get some work done... Not sure I will...enjoying the trip too much.

The last time I took the Coast Starlight was about 3 years ago in July we got quite a ways before the train turned around because of a derailed freighter carrying lumber up in Oregon. This should be a better trip.

Anyways...I got to the Simi Valley station early....and saw a train coming...thought it was funny for the Surfliner to be running at that time....snapped a quick photo and boy was I surprised when I saw a superliner car pass by.

I boarded the train and headed to my sleeper... room 8 car 1430. George is my attendant and what a great guy he is. Beautiful trip so far. Had lunch at 1pm with 3 other travelers. 2 of them headed to a model railroading convention in Portland. 3 of us had the veggie burger and 3 of us had the chocolate peanut butter cake... yummy. Great food and great conversation with these 3 wonderful people.

Currently we are stopped just outside of San Luis Obispo waiting for the Southbound Amtrak.

Arrived a bit late into San Luis Obispo ... so not much time for the smokers...passed beautiful grape orchards on the way here. And we are off...

Back from a nice wine tasting. It is $5 now. Last time I rode it was free...but $5 was still worth it..very enjoyable and I had a nice couple from Texas ...Lubbock in fact invite me to join them. So it was even better.

Went to the parlour car for my 6:45 ressie...but...no veggie options... so I made my way to the dining car...they had plenty of room. I was seated next to a lady from San Jose and two other gentlemen. Had pasta for dinner and it was delicious. I don't know why there are so many complaints about the food...the vegetables were cool and a bit overcooked...I did skip those...but who can complain... a restaurant with an ocean view in the afternoon and then a rolling hills view in the evening...

When we stopped at San Jose I asked George if he was going to turn around when he got to Seattle. He said yes. Then he gets six days off. He said he enjoys his job. He does a great job. Everyone in the car I am in is lucky to have him.

The 1432 car is closer to the front of the train than the other two sleepers so there is very little traffic. Very quiet. Love it. Gave me a chance to get a lot of work done.

I said the last time I was on the Coast Starlight was four years ago...that isn't really true...but the last time I rode it to Seattle...or attempted to (until the derailment of the freighter in Oregon) was four years ago... and I forgot how enjoyable it was.

I plan to go to sleep earlier than normal. I love getting up and seeing the sunrise...and I should have a pretty view in the morning... I am on the right side of the train.

That is it for tonight....running on time and having a blast....

After a wonderful night’s sleep I awoke very early this morning to see Shasta… ads the train traveled on deer were running…there was a Mother deer and little one posed looking like Bambi. It was awesome. Went down for an early breakfast and enjoyed the scenery … met 3 very nice people…including a young lady picking up a car in Eugene and a Grandma and her Grandson traveling to Portland. We chatted through Northern California, across the California/Oregon on the way to Klamath Falls. I had the French Toast…bit rich for the morning…but hey ya only live once.

It was amusing that a small number of people got quite put off with having to share a table. Personally I have always loved it… I truly enjoy meeting the people…and knowing a bit of the story that goes with them.

Oregon is such a pretty state…this year I went to Ireland, Japan and Mexico using up some of my frequent flyer miles…but the prettiest places to go to always seem to be right in my own backyard. I am so lucky to live in this beautiful country!

It has been so much fun traveling Northward…and going …OK this racer lives here in this town and that racer lives in that town.

The trees are so amazing. And such a pretty variety of Evergreens. How lucky everyone is that lives here.

Right now I am between Chemult and Eugene, climbing up the Cascades. Ran out of my network connection…so this may post later. But for all the complaints folks give Sprint…it outlasted all other carriers of people that I spoke with.

Currently going in and out of tunnels and each time you exit a tunnel it is the most incredible view. And I would give up my work on the Internet anyday to see this…but not good for my business.

I highly recommend anyone debating whether or not to take this trip…go for it.

Beautiful scenery, wonderful accommodations, good food, nice people and an interesting and entertaining trip overall. And maybe I am just lucky…but my temperature control worked flawlessly. Love this trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back