Coast Starlight on Black Friday- how crowded?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What I mean is that in the past I could open up Amsnag and add the cheapest coach fare to any bedroom or roomette fee and know the total cost. Now that's no longer the case since it seems Amtrak uses some mid-level coach price instead. I honestly never paid much attention to the Saver vs Value designations since I rarely ride coach.

I agree with the Roomette option as you get not only the PPC but 2 meals in the Diner.
Agreed. Double the coach price, though.
If only it was just double. When I got my ticket, Coach was $56, roomette was $172. No thank you, I can pay for my own two meals and skip PPC.
Did you ever consider an upgrade to Business Class? Not quite as much as a Roomete, but maybe better than Coach.
Definitely a bit nicer than coach.

I my experience in CS business, out of LAX, everyone who wanted a left-side seat got one.

Just off the Starlight today. Holiday Traffic is up with 4 sleepers on the train but the Parlour Car wasn't too bad at all. Only got 1 meal in it, (would have taken more if available) but the lounge was available for the whole trip. If the chairs were full... I sat in the inward facing seats and chatted until a chair opened up. Didn't take long for that to happen.

What voodo do they perform on the PPCs by taking them out of service for 2 months?
The consensus here seems to be that they earn a well deserved rest near LAX.
I might be barking up the wrong tree here, but isn't Jan & Feb the coldest months in the North West? Perhaps it is all about limiting the PCC's to exposure that the worst of winter could throw at them and reducing metal fatigue thus maintaining the life span of them? Its not like Amtrak have the money to replace them once the frames etc finally become life expired is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back