Coast Starlight or Sunset Limited for our next trip?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess I’m going to have to amble back over to Philippe’s and see what I missed the first couple of time’s eating there. Sort of reminds me of the Pantry.
https://pantrycafe.restaurant/
Or you could take sides in the great French-dipped war. Head over to the Pacific Electric station and eat at Cole's. According to Google they're only open evenings, so for the subject of this thread it only works on a stopover in L.A.
P1050041.JPG

Last edited:
Or you could take sides in the great French-dipped war. Head over to the Pacific Electric station and eat at Cole's. According to Google they're only open evenings, so for the subject of this thread it only works on a stopover in L.A.
View attachment 32774
It's also quite a bit farther from Union Station than pretty much across the street like Phillipes is.

During the 80s I worked at 6th & Spring and sometimes had lunch at Cole's PE Buffet as it was just a block west. It was good then, as good as Phillipes. Quite a few winos that lucked into a couple bucks hung out in there in that era, though.

View attachment 32774
I've eaten @ Coles and while it's Good,( pricey for Downtown LA) still prefer Philippe the Original!

Thanks for sharing this!

Coast Starlight - but take it northbound for the greatest extent of both daylight running along the Pacific Coast and through the Cascade Mountains. Love the section along the Pacific Coast and into the farmlands of Paso Robles. Then wake up to Klamath Falls and into the Cascades!

Back