Coast Starlight Portland to Seattle

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First time riding Coast Starlight. I currently have a reservation for March 31 14 LAX-EMY, since I live only a mile from the Emeryville station. However I'm pondering rebooking for LAX-PDX or LAX-SEA, then flying home to SFO. Sunset on that date is a half hour before the scheduled arrival in Seattle.

Wondering what the sightseeing is like between Portland and Seattle. If not a lot to see, I'd rather get off in Portland. Thoughts?

First time riding Coast Starlight. I currently have a reservation for March 31 14 LAX-EMY, since I live only a mile from the Emeryville station. However I'm pondering rebooking for LAX-PDX or LAX-SEA, then flying home to SFO. Sunset on that date is a half hour before the scheduled arrival in Seattle.

Wondering what the sightseeing is like between Portland and Seattle. If not a lot to see, I'd rather get off in Portland. Thoughts?
PDX>SEA has better scenery than about 1/2 of the Amtrak lines, but it's best enjoyed in May<>October due to the chance of rain at other times of the year. Views of the mountains are an enjoyable part of the trip. Also, PDX>SEA is the part of the trip where Train 14 is likely to be running late into darkness.

Another factor is the recent route change which cuts off three miles of the most impressive year-round scenery along Puget Sound. The bypassed waterfront line was congested and slide prone and beautiful. I mention this because some guide info online is now obsolete.

Both cities in themselves are about even in terms of "things to do". Part of the corridor ridership is Seattle/Tacoma people coming to Portland for events and part is Portland and Vancouver, Washington people heading to Seattle.

If your goal is mountain sightseeing, you might check airfares from Eugene. Spend a night there to cushion against Train 14 running late and plan to enjoy the brewpubs or events at UofO or in the city's art community. Dine in the Oregon Electric Railway Station, a block closer to downtown than the SP/Amtrak Station.

Wayfinding from the Eugene Amtrak Station.

P1050288.JPG

I ride SEA-PDX about once a month and since the re-route away from the coast in November I wouldn’t say you’re missing much. I think you’d be fine getting off in Portland if you’re not interested in one city more than the other.

Assuming that the train isn't running late, the prime scenery you'd be missing by getting off in Oregon is Mount Rainier. If you've never seen a glacier-clad volcano, it's something to behold. The other consideration is, if you are a restored train station buff, both the Portland and Seattle stations are gorgeous, and very different architecturally. If you stay on till Seattle, the stop in Portland is long enough to give plenty of time to admire the station there, inside and outside. It's a classic! King Street Station in Seattle is, along with Los Angeles Union Station, tied for my favorite West Coast Amtrak station from an architectural point of view. It's absolutely unique in its stunning restoration. And, right next door to King Street Station is the old Union Station, which has been renovated as an event center but keeping all the nostalgic train signage intact. I'm not sure if you can still wander in or not; as of two years ago, the front doors were generally open and they didn't mind folks strolling in to take pictures. Of course, lots of things are different from what they were in the Before Times, so perhaps that isn't possible anymore.

Portland to Seattle is mostly rolling hills and farms. Pleasant but not dramatic. Views of Mt. Rainier and Mt. St. Helen's in the distance if not cloudy (and really not a better view of Rainier than from most of the Puget Sound region when "the Mountain is out").

You get a great view of the backside of a lot of light industry in Tacoma's Nalley Valley now, too.

Back