Coast Starlight Restart

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PRR 60

Engineer
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
Revision 4 of the Starlight saga will begin April 15. A full-service Starlight, including Sleepers, will operate between LA and Klamath Falls. A bus will operate between Klamath Falls and Eugene. A coach and lounge stub train will operate between Eugene and Seattle. Start-up is 4/15 northbound and 4/16 southbound.

The "tentative" return of the real Starlight is now set for 5/6 northbound and 5/7 southbound. Stay tuned.

EDIT: full startup one day later than my original post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Revision 4 of the Starlight saga will begin April 15. A full-service Starlight, including Sleepers, will operate between LA and Klamath Falls. A bus will operate between Klamath Falls and Eugene. A coach and lounge stub train will operate between Eugene and Seattle. Start-up is 4/15 northbound and 4/16 southbound.
The "tentative" return of the real Starlight is now set for 5/5 northbound and 5/6 southbound. Stay tuned.

Keeping crossed fingers for 9/1!

I sure hope your correct. We have a room for the 19th going south out of San Francisco. I checked just yesterday and no sleepers showed up on the train untill the 22 of april?

reservation shows 1011 from SEA, then the 6811 bus, then the 11 train. What is the 1011 service, any idea ?

I see a mistake in Arrow!

4/15-LAX to SEA (test)

14-Starlight (standard options)

6814-Bus (no options)

1014 (EUG-SEA) shows a as a bus but offers lower level coach seats :lol: !

reservation shows 1011 from SEA, then the 6811 bus, then the 11 train. What is the 1011 service, any idea ?
Different number used so the computer understands it. Probably the sam concept as using a different train number for the Texas Eagle cars that end at San Antonio ( 21,22 ) and the ones that go through to Los Angles ( 421, 422 )

YES! This totally made my day. My parents are traveling on CS April 19 LAX-EMY, and were very disappointed to hear that they would problably have to make that trip in coach. This will be a very pleasant surprise for them!

P.S. Any chance that a Pacific Parlour car will be part of their consist?

The 1011 is the stub trains from Seattle to Eugene, it's coded as such since it won't have sleepers or a diner, only coaches and a cafe car. If they coded it as 11, the computer would automatically try to sell sleepers that aren't there.

6811 is of course the bus with zero ammenities, and again given a different number so that the computer doesn't try to sell things that aren't there.

And then 11 is of course the full train from Klamath falls and south.

If Amtrak's whole point for suspending it in the first place was to save money, why do they run the stub train rather than putting everyone on the Cascades?
Well the main answer to your question is the fact that train #11 acts as Cascades run south of Portland. Without the CS running these past months, there has been a big hole in the Cascades schedule. Train 11 is also the first run on the schedule that runs south of Portland. Any other Cascades train would arrive way to late to connect with the full train, after the bus transfer, in Klamath Falls.

Finally by Amtrak's own admission, ridership starts going up at this time of the year, which is why they are returning to the idea of running to Klamath Falls with the full train. That plus the fact that I'm betting that they are getting way too much heat for not running either the stub to Eugene or the full train to Kalmath.

Well it is good news they are indeed showing rooms on the 19th going south. I see in the list of services, Lounge, but no diner, I wonder if that is a mistake or they have decided to run the sleepers but no diner?

Still further confirmation from another reliable source:

posted elsewhere by Gene Poon:

COAST STARLIGHT TO BE RESTORED TO KLAMATH FALLS
EFFECTIVE WITH TRAIN 14 DEPARTING LOS ANGELES ON TUESDAY,

APRIL 15, AND WITH TRAIN 11 DEPARTING SEATTLE ON WEDNESDAY,

APRIL 16, THE COAST STARLIGHT WILL OPERATE AS FOLLOWS:

FULL SERVICE TRAIN (COACHES, SLEEPERS, DINER, LOUNGE)

BETWEEN LOS ANGELES AND KLAMATH FALLS.

BUSES BETWEEN KLAMATH FALLS AND EUGENE VIA CHEMULT.

COACH AND CAFE TRAIN BETWEEN EUGENE AND SEATTLE.

LOCAL PASSENGERS CARRIED.

BUS 3014 FROM KFS TO PSC FOR TRAIN 28 RESUMES OPERATION.

THE OVERNIGHT BUS, INCLUDING THE STOPS IN MEDFORD,

ENDS THE DAY BEFORE.

BUS 3014 FROM KFS TO PSC FOR TRAIN 28 RESUMES OPERATION.

THIS WILL BE IN EFFECT UNTIL SOMETIME IN MAY AT WHICH TIME

IT IS ANTICIPATED THAT THE RAILROAD WILL REOPEN.

ARROW WILL BE UPDATED SHORTLY AND MORE DETAILS WILL FOLLOW.

-source: Amtrak

If you are going southbound from Portland, what time will you arrive at KLAMATH FALLS ? Would it be early enough to still use the sleeper?

Great News!! Our tickets on the Starlight are for May 28th LAX to PDX. Hoping to see the newly refurbished Parlour Cars as well. As a former road construction worker, great praise to the men, women, and machines that are literally moving a mountain. :)

If you are going southbound from Portland, what time will you arrive at KLAMATH FALLS ? Would it be early enough to still use the sleeper?
Well the train is scheduled out of Klamath Falls at 10:00 PM, since they still run on the normal schedule from there south. And checking at Amtrak.com, they show the bus as arriving in Klamath at 9:30 PM going southbound.

Today's NARP e-mail reminded me of something from Amtrak's website - the CS relaunch is slated for "mid 2008" rather than May 10th. This makes me wonder if the mudslide isn't the only cause of delay. I've been assuming that the relaunch would go as scheduled if the tracks were open on time, but there's always the possibility that the sleeper & PPC refurbishment is also behind schedule.

Today's NARP e-mail reminded me of something from Amtrak's website - the CS relaunch is slated for "mid 2008" rather than May 10th. This makes me wonder if the mudslide isn't the only cause of delay. I've been assuming that the relaunch would go as scheduled if the tracks were open on time, but there's always the possibility that the sleeper & PPC refurbishment is also behind schedule.
The PPC refurbishment may well be behind schedule, I'm not sure one way or the other.

But the sleepers are already done and have been so for well over a year, if not two. Unfortunately Amtrak cancelled that program before all of the Superliner I sleepers were done, but enough were done way back then so as to not be an issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are they going to come off the Capitol Limited?
Well that is certainly a possibility, but I would expect not since Emmett Fremuax still hopes to make that the Eastcoast's premier train. There are enough of the cars around that they should be able to support the EB, CS, and CL. I'm not sure that they can cover any other trains beyond that point though, unless the refurbishment program is restarted.

What do the unrefurbished Superliner Is look like? Do they still have that garishly charming red-brown scheme?

What do the unrefurbished Superliner Is look like? Do they still have that garishly charming red-brown scheme?
A few do, but most have at least been through a low-level refurbishment where the colors got changed, cushions replaced, and so on. But that is a vast difference from the cars that got a major overhaul. Only a very few cars have seen no work all.

Uh oh. Arrow is showing sleeping accomodations as SOLD OUT on all CS trains until 5/6 for all destinations. Are they backpadaling on their decision to run a full train?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back