Coast Starlight Sleeper (Are you on the fence?)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

John-MCPO-USN

Train Attendant
Are you one of those persons who are "on thefence" about whether or not to purchase a sleeper on the Starlight??

Well----let me push you off the fence..........I am half-waythru my JAX-SEA-JAX, and I just finished the SAC to SEA portion on #14. The Parlor Car is worth the price of asleeper alone. The layout, the seats,the meals, the wine-n-cheese tasting, the theater.....all of it made the tripworth every cent. I spent the entireCascade Mountain transit in a lounge chair----in perfect weather---watching thescenery.

The sleepers were all refurbished and in very good shape,and we were 50min early arriving in Seattle.

If you are thinking about riding the Starlight-----pay upfor the sleeper.....you won't regret it. There was talk amongst the OBS crew that the Parlor Car might be goingaway......I hadn't heard that discussion before, but they seem to have a verygood source.....but, could be rumor-mill too.

John

Yes, originally some amtrak plans indicated that the PPCs would be going away in 2012. I believe that has now been revised - I am sure someone can remember what the updated date was.

Unfortunately on my trip earlier this year the theater was inoperable downstairs, but the car was still lovely. We also had 2 out of 3 sleepers being very old and unrenovated - the kind with orange carpet on the walls - yikes. But overall its a great route! I just want to temper expectations that you will always have renovated cars on the CS, for example, as that is not necessarily the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back