Coast Starlight to San Francisco question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi there, recently discovered this forum. I am considering travelling from LA to SF in September via train. I have several questions about the Starlight that you can hopefully help me with:

1) As it is a day trip to San Fran area, is a bedroom worth it rather than a roomette (it might mean changing dates to pick a bedroom as some are sold out)?

2) Which station in San Fran is most convenient? I have seen a connecting bus service to SFW, does that work well for taxis etc?

3) What are the rules on size and weight of luggage? Do they need to be checked?

Any help greatly appreciated! Many thanks in advance.

A bedroom in my opinion is required on that trip, no question. I do it every 3 months or so. The lowest cost room is as low as 82 dollars more..which includes lunch, dinner, wine tasting..and the parlor car. Its a 100 percent different experience especially if its a once in life time type trip.

To get technical its actually less then $82 extra due to the fact sleeping car passengers pay lowest rail fare possible, thats a big factor on trains that are almost sold out.

Alot depends on where you are staying in SF. If you want checked baggage, you need to go to the ferry building as this is the only actual staffed amtrak station in SF. We just used SFP which they call Peninsula, but is actually the Caltrain station. If you want to stay anywhere on the Caltrain line it would probably be easier and quicker to transfer to Caltrain in San Jose. The SFP stop is right next to the taxi stand, although it isn't too hard to get a cab at the ferry building (SFC). The other stops are just that, stops and unless you are staying or going somewhere nearby them, I wouldn't use them.

1. If budget permits, always go first class -- especially on the Coast Starlight. First class (sleeper) passengers have a separate lounge, called the Pacific Parlour Car, and a wine tasting. The Pacific Parlour Car has a bar.

2. As said, the best stop depends upon where you need to end up. If you aren't familiar with the San Francisco Bay Area, I'd suggest sticking with Amtrak in the city. They will cover you should the train be late.

3. There are rules, they've been tightened, but I'll be gosh darned if I've ever run into them. As long as there is space and the bags fit, nobody really cares. However, if you have some large bags that you won't need on the train trip, then I'd suggest letting Amtrak haul them to and from the train for you -- just to save the effort.

Considering when 14's been getting into EMY lately I would get the sleeper. As for which stop in SF to use, where in the city are you headed and how much luggage are you bringing? For the most part any of the stops in SF (Financial District, SF Shopping Center, Pier 39 Fisherman's Wharf, Ferry Building, CalTrain) will have reasonably easy access to taxi's or to MUNI.

Back