Coast Starlight

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

San Walkeen

Train Attendant
Greetings to all

I have been reading and enjoying this site for some time. I have had little to share until now. I rode the CS to Seattle starting from Los Angeles June 9. There was a PPC and it was wonderful, the view and the food was excellent. I returned on the 11th and there was no parlor car. The attendant said that 3 of them have already broken down. It sounded like it was all air conditioning problems so hopefully they will be back soon. All trains were extremely full. The diner car on the return trip was maxed out from the time it opened until almost 8. It was amazing to watch the staff take care of everyone. I had one of the best steaks I have ever had, far superior to the one I had on the trip north and my wife said the salmon was fantastic.

Be prepared for full trains this summer. We even had trouble finding a seat on the San Joaquin trains we connected to LA with.

Thanks for the update!

Which item did you order for your meal in the PPC? I had whatever pasta they were serving for lunch on Day 1, and it was excellent. I would have liked to have tried the items being served for the other meals and on other days!

Back