Coast Starlight's time performance

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steve_relei

Lead Service Attendant
Here is an article from yesterday's Portland Tribune about the Starlight's ontime performance and hopes for betterment.

Starlight hopes to get rid of Star-late moniker

Track upgrade could help popular passenger train stay on schedule

By JEANIE SENIOR Issue date: 5/6/2003

The Tribune

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There’s a glimmer of hope that Amtrak’s Coast Starlight passenger train — whose on-time record has been so dismal in recent years that it got the nickname Star-late — soon could turn its timetable from an amiable fiction to near reality.

The train follows a spectacular route along the West Coast from Los Angeles to San Francisco, Portland and Seattle. It is among the most popular in the Amtrak system for both its scenery and its deluxe service.

It’s notorious, however, for running far behind schedule, with the northbound train often arriving in Portland an hour or two late.

But an Oregon Department of Transportation official said there’s hope that the Starlight will be running closer to the timetable as the Union Pacific Railroad, which owns the track the Starlight uses, upgrades its track.

When Union Pacific bought the Southern Pacific Railroad in 1996, it inherited years of deferred maintenance, the result of SP’s ongoing financial problems, said Robert Krebs, passenger rail coordinator for ODOT. Union Pacific is spending tens of millions of dollars to bring the former Southern Pacific line up to UP standards, but it’s a long-term process.

“Unfortunately, it delays passenger trains when they do it,” Krebs said.

“It’s very busy for a single track railroad and, yes, it needed work,” said Union Pacific spokesman John Bromley.

An extensive program to replace wooden ties with concrete ties now is under way in northern California. “That’s now causing some delays, dependent on the work days,” he said, because the ties are installed by a mechanized piece of equipment that requires the line to shut down for nine hours.

The work is supposed to be completed by June 2.

Also later this spring, Union Pacific will be working on tunnels in the Cascade Mountains between Klamath Falls and Eugene; when that is under way, Amtrak passengers will be bused between the two cities.

Krebs said the railroad also is doing considerable work to upgrade its track in the Willamette Valley.

Because of the track’s condition, “we’ve had a lot of speed restrictions in northern California and Oregon that have not only affected Amtrak but our own trains as well,” Bromley said.

“Some of the problems the Coast Starlight has had lately probably will go away when the work is completed,” Krebs said. The state and Amtrak are working with Union Pacific on passenger operations, he said, “to see what we can do to make passenger trains operate more efficiently in Oregon.”

Two years ago, Amtrak and Union Pacific officials were exchanging accusations about the Starlight’s on-time problems. The issue, one Amtrak official said, was Union Pacific’s slow freights and maintenance problems.

A Union Pacific spokesman countered that the Starlight’s schedule was “not realistic.”

When it comes to recent on-time performance, “anecdotally, some of the delays are really impressive, but overall it’s done better,” Bromley said of the Starlight.

The Starlight recorded one of its most spectacular late arrivals April 24, when it pulled into Portland 17 hours behind schedule— the train had bashed into a Union Pacific crane that was leaning into the main line near Dunsmuir, Calif.

The accident badly damaged a locomotive and also banged up the train’s dorm and baggage car. Two Union Pacific locomotives pulled the Starlight, with 360 passengers aboard, from Klamath Falls to Portland.

No one was hurt in the collision, but it knocked out power on the train, which caused its own complications.

Amtrak called a halt to the northbound trip in Portland, sending northbound passengers on to Seattle by bus. The damaged equipment was “swapped out” at Portland, Amtrak spokeswoman Sarah Swain said.

Union Pacific is investigating the accident, Bromley said. Cost estimates for the repairs are pending.

Contact Jeanie Senior at [email protected].

The Starlight is and will always be the King of being Late. After all, it is an unrealistic schedule - only 13 1/2 hours from Martinez to Los Angeles? What were they thinking when they planned this? ;) Amtrak should just add in about an hour or so between each stop on the Starlight route and then it will run closer to being on time... maybe...

The San Joaquin trains run Martinez to Los Angeles in about 7 3/4 hours, although granted, the scenery is not nearly as nice and this includes a 2 hr 20 min motorcoach connection.

Interesting point here about UP taking over long deferred SP work. As pointed out in another post here, UP in the pre-Amtrak past had a good reputation for passenger train operations. SP had a lousy reputation(whether deserved or not).....

When you stop to think about it, UP is really making up for SP's bad work...and getting the black eye in the meantime.

Guess we should ponder that for a point.

And don't forget the real King of Lateness,(in my opinion) I would say, rather than the CS is the Sunset Limited ...and that Sunset route was SP all the way.....that gives even more fuel to the idea of UP making up for SP bad work.

Bill Haithcoat said:
And don't forget the real King of Lateness,(in my opinion) I would say, rather than the CS is the Sunset Limited ...and that Sunset route was SP all the way.....that gives even more fuel to the idea of UP making up for SP bad work.
Yes, but the Sunset Limited travels a distance of over twice as far as the Coast Starlight, which makes it a bit more acceptable to hear the delays. The Starliaghte is one of the shorter long-distance routes, and it usually runs later than the California Zephyr, Southwest Chief, or Empire Builder (probably combined).

I have always known U.P. to run Amtrak late... did S.P. used to run the trains habitually late, too? Ugh, I wish all the tracks were owned and dispatched by BNSF - they do the best job of keeping Amtrak on or close-to on time.

The northbound Coast Starlight is very rarely late arriving in Santa Barbara, in fact it usually arrives early. One has to take into account that virtually all of the trackage that it travels in Los Angeles and Ventura counties is owned by Metrolink. The UP freight traffic in this area is minimal, and much of the rail is double-tracked.

The southbound Coast Starlight is another story. It can arrive at any time of night or day.

JCCOllins--My time frame on comparing UP with SP was pre-Amtrak. Back when the railroads themselves operated the trains, the UP had a much better reputation than the SP. Not just referring to lateness but to cleanliness, courtesy, ample stocking of supplies,maintenance and up grading of equipment, etc..

This as opposed to today when there have been massive freight railroad mergers, and something today calling itself UP would have been SP back then. (and that UP inherited a bad situation, old SP tracks not kept up to standard).

Over the years, the Starlight has gained about an hour or so to its schedules in both directions. I really don't want to see it stretched out any more than it is. As I have said before, one to two hours late really isn't that bad. There is still a lot of scenery and other things to enjoy, and the train continues to be one of Amtrak's most popular trains. Like others, I would prefer to see the train run on time, and hopefully these track upgrades will help.

Miracles never cease! The northbound Coast Starlight was not only on time today (May 19) but it was 30 minutes early arriving at Portland's Union Station! Hope that kind of timekeeping continues.

I guess it was just a fluke--a once in a long while event. The Starlight is back to being two hours late today. It was fun while it lasted.

two hours isn't actually that bad for the StarLATE LATE LATE... I have seen it pass through MTZ SB about 6 hours late... many times!

After reading my posts here, sorry if I sound a little overcritical of the StarLATE. I'll make it know here that I love the StarLATE just as much as everyone else... but it is fun once in a while to criticize it's consistent tardiness! :)

Is is pretty strange that it usually has more delays and runs later than any of the longer West Coast to Chicago LD trains. <_<

Where does the LATE start?

On the NB trips, it is above Santa Barbara, for sure.

On the SB trips, is it on time between Seattle and Portland, thanks to BNSF?

You have to remember the UP trackage in this area is former SP, which was in really bad shape when UP took over. There are virtually no LD trains that travel on "old" UP rails. This also applies to the Sunset.

Yes, I wonder why they are always running late, I check all the trains schedule and its by far the Latest train I've seen. My record show its latest times was 12 Hours late! Back in DEC of 2002. :huh:

How long have you been checking the schedules? The Coast Starlight may be well the worst now, but until recently I think the winner had to be the Sunset Limited, followed by the Texas Eagle. They were hours late on a regular basis. I think they have improved.

Do you check the Crescent on a regular basis? I live in Atlanta so I sort of keep up with it. How do you find it in comparison with others? How do you find the Silver Meteor and the Silver Star. I know these stats get published from tiem to time, but just wonder how you ,a railfan, actually find these things in your checking of them.

Yes, I know that the Starlight has been very, very late on occasions--and still can be--but if I am going to be late on a train, it might as well be northbound on the Starlight. Like I have said before, it allows people to see in daylight parts of the route that are only seen in darkness, particularly the segment of the route between Redding and Dunsmuir. There is some extraordinary scenery, including the climbing of Cantara Loop and along the base of Mt. Shasta. If I were on the train from L.A. I, too, would be antsy by the time the train got to Portland--or later at Seattle. Still, the ride through the Cascades mountains, the Willamette Valley, along the Columbia River, the Puget Sound is quite nice and something to look forward to.

Allen Dee said:
Where does the LATE start?
On the NB trips, it is above Santa Barbara, for sure.

On the SB trips, is it on time between Seattle and Portland, thanks to BNSF?

You have to remember the UP trackage in this area is former SP, which was in really bad shape when UP took over. There are virtually no LD trains that travel on "old" UP rails. This also applies to the Sunset.
SB usually gets its delay mostly between Klamath Falls and Redding. If this is the case many more minor delays seem to follow between Redding and Sacramento. The train usually runs in the time allotted south of Sacramento.

I would assume the northbound delays are similar (between Redding - Klamath Falls), but haven't followed it quite as closely.

:)

Us going on StarLate mid-June from SCJ to KFS. Hope we can see the scenery around Dunsmuir in the morning. :)

Alas, on a late train at least you are going somewhere - albeit slowly. Sitting in diner, readin a book, playing chess (or playing with the laptop) - many things to do.

An alternative is to sit on tamrak for two hours in a crowded airplane or even worse - holding the steering wheel and do not move a single inch on the freeway while kids yelling on the backseat "are we there yet?" (Did "enjoy" both, thank you very much). On our late CZ in April we had a few more turns with the strategic game on laptop in the sleeper - and one more meal thanks to the great crew.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back