Coast to Coast, and South to North, a first Amtrak trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just to add a Montana bit of trivia, be aware that summers are very short near Glacier Park. We just got our first snowfall on the mountain peaks the other day, it will probably not stick for long, but the next one may. Some roads and hotels will be closing soon.
East Glacier is on the dry (brown vegetation is more common, green a bit less so) side of the Continental Divide and is located in the Blackfeet Indian Reservation, which is a coin with two sides. I do not know this area as well and can not do it justice.
West Glacier is much more tourist friendly and Apgar Village, on Lake MacDonald is one of the most beautiful places in the park. Apgar Village is a 2.5 mile/4km walk from Amtrak Station at West Glacier/Belton Inn/Glacier Highlands Cabin to Apgar Village and part of the walk is through West Glacier Village, which is kind of touristy but cool. Glacier Highlands is the cheapest overnight stay in the area but it books up early and is a bit basic. Google Maps does not show the off road walking path from West Glacier Village to Apgar, not sure why. If you take the path, walk in a group. It would not hurt to rent bear spray or walk with someone who has it and seems to know how to use it. Bears are not a huge danger but it is good to be aware of them and how to behave around them.
If it is possible I would try to spend at least one night at West Glacier so you could see Lake MacDonald and if possible, ride on a Grinder bus tour. Grinders are 80 year old mini-bus convertibles that give a GREAT short tour of the west side of Glacier Park. But getting into Glacier Park is not a given, tickets are in short supply during the summer months. My cousin and I finally got in without an advance ticket being needed 10 or 12 days ago, neither of us had been there for more than 10 years so it was a very cool day.
Lake Mac Donald Lodge, not easy to get to without a car or riding the Grinder tour.

1000008746.jpg

1000008752.jpg

This photo is of Whitefish Mountain yesterday, just a dusting of snow.

1000009284.jpg

The beach at Apgar Village.
1000008742.jpg

Last edited:
Back