Coffee on the train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The coffee maker I want uses cold water and I thought the suggestion to use the bottled water provided was a good idea. I rarely drink plain water although I know one should!

I never was a coffee drinker even after working 37 years of RR'ing with a lot of nights thrown in. If all else fails, I have never encountered an LD train that didn't leave the coffee pot on in the diner or the lounge for the Conductor and A/C. Seems that the OBS crew likes to get along as best as possible with the operating crews.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a good point and I know there is coffee in other places on the train. It is just that it seems to put you in the position of having them do you a favor to give you some and there are those employees that just don't want to be bothered and it shows. I told the story of taking coffee from the adjoining sleeper, being scolded, not scalded, and then seeing a sign appear saying "coffee for this car only"! Plus many inns don't have in room coffee and don't serve til 7am or so and I would be using it there primarily and not having to jettison a coffee pot I had purchased and couldn't carry home on the train which I have done several times.

Just to throw in a little perspective to the coffee thing....

Please note that preAmtrak trains did not have anything comparable to the coffee, juice etc setups we have today in the sleeper.. I do not remember just when all that was introduced,

I just know preAmtrak (and early Amtrak, I guess), had no such things.there was a period in there when cofeee or juice was brought to your room as your wakeup all.. I do not remember the transition times.

Now there were a few cases scattered around the country with something like afternoon tea and coffee in the lounge car,things like that. That preAmtrak and maybe early Amtrak also.

Your attendant I think could or would bring you coffee from the diner,just as they could and do bring meals. But the avearge passenger did not do that, as I recall.

ALso, the running ice water in your rooms. Even at the beginning of the streamline era, late 30's and late 40's,,cold drinking water as provided in a jug.

It is sort of like how there are so many more showers today.

I told the story of taking coffee from the adjoining sleeper, being scolded, not scalded, and then seeing a sign appear saying "coffee for this car only"!
Me too.

The coffee maker in my sleeper was out, and my SA told to just go to the next sleeper, and help myself to coffee there. However, that sleeper's SA was outraged that I dared to get myself a cup from HIS coffee maker. Yea, I am a sleeper passenger, and I am entitled to coffee!

I will add that I have helped myself to coffee from the dining car late at night too. The coffee urn was still hot, and next to it was "to go" cups with lids, straw stirrers, sugar, and creamers. I assume that such would not have been left out, unless the LSA was expecting and permitting people to help themselves.

I told the story of taking coffee from the adjoining sleeper, being scolded, not scalded, and then seeing a sign appear saying "coffee for this car only"!
Me too.

The coffee maker in my sleeper was out, and my SA told to just go to the next sleeper, and help myself to coffee there. However, that sleeper's SA was outraged that I dared to get myself a cup from HIS coffee maker. Yea, I am a sleeper passenger, and I am entitled to coffee!

I will add that I have helped myself to coffee from the dining car late at night too. The coffee urn was still hot, and next to it was "to go" cups with lids, straw stirrers, sugar, and creamers. I assume that such would not have been left out, unless the LSA was expecting and permitting people to help themselves.
9 chances out of 10 those goodies were left out for crew. I've never heard any LSA tell a pax that they could help themselves at any hour. It may also be against regs in the diner or lounge car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back