Coffee, tea or cola in sleepers?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Honestly even when coffee was available in the sleeper I still walked to the diner for mine. It’s usually much better quality… excited for the new coffee equipment on the V2s though

One of the joys of a sleeper has been the first aroma of coffee around 6AM. Sure missed that. Glad it's back. I always had that first cup of coffee before heading to the dining car. On the EB in September in a roomette. Can't wait for that first cup of coffee and real food!
Jonesing for my next itinerary on the 19th, SAS-NOL-PHL. Roomettes all the way. Will see what happens, but I will be taking my Keurig and portable chuckwagon. I've got to drive back to Dallas from PHL, alas.

Jonesing for my next itinerary on the 19th, SAS-NOL-PHL. Roomettes all the way. Will see what happens, but I will be taking my Keurig and portable chuckwagon. I've got to drive back to Dallas from PHL, alas.
At least you'll have Real Food on the Sunset and a Sightseer Lounge to get out of Prison!

And a nice Breakfast and Supplies are readily available in the Big Easy before the Crescent leaves on its New Schedule.

At least you'll have Real Food on the Sunset and a Sightseer Lounge to get out of Prison!

And a nice Breakfast and Supplies are readily available in the Big Easy before the Crescent leaves on its New Schedule.
1) Prison? Jeeze - one of the reasons I pay the exorbitant room charge is to be able to relax in my room, and have the run of the train if I feel like it. And enjoy some corn squeezins.
2) I hope the Real Food and the rest will be there by then. However, comma, I will be taking along my AMTRAK survival kit of Keurig, sandwich maker, portable cooler and pantry just in case. (And of course, some corn squeezings). I'll need the supplies on the return, anyway. I have to drive from Flemington NJ back to Dallas. In an Internal Combustion powered automobile. Yuk! The things one will do for a relative when they dangle an AMTRAK voyage in front of one...
3) Staying at the Roosevelt where I worked for WWL 55 years ago. I suspect there may have been a few changes, though. I WILL, however, see if the Sazeracs are still as good as I remember in my misspent youth..
4) And of course, an early morning visit to the Morning call. One simply MUST have one's cafe and beignets, mustn't one? Will probly take a few along with a firkin of Cafe au lait for a rolling brunch.
5) Too bad I will be too late and then too early for my Bud's Broiler fix. But that's for the next Tesla outing.

I'll be posting an update on conditions. Lots of pretty good YouTube productions on progress of restoring sanity.

Last edited:
1) Prison? Jeeze - one of the reasons I pay the exorbitant room charge is to be able to relax in my room, and have the run of the train if I feel like it. And enjoy some corn squeezins.
2) I hope the Real Food and the rest will be there by then. However, comma, I will be taking along my AMTRAK survival kit of Keurig, sandwich maker, portable cooler and pantry just in case. (And of course, some corn squeezings). I'll need the supplies on the return, anyway. I have to drive from Flemington NJ back to Dallas. In an Internal Combustion powered automobile. Yuk! The things one will do for a relative when they dangle an AMTRAK voyage in front of one...
3) Staying at the Roosevelt where I worked for WWL 55 years ago. I suspect there may have been a few changes, though. I WILL, however, see if the Sazaracs are still as good as I remember in my misspent youth..
4) And of course, an early morning visit to the Morning call. One simply MUST have one's cafe and beignets, mustn't one? Will probly take a few along with a firkin of Cafe au lait for a rolling brunch.
5) Too bad I will be too late and then too early for my Bud's Broiler fix. But that's for the next Tesla outing.

I'll be posting an update on conditions. Lots of pretty good YouTube productions on progress of restoring sanity.
Mmmmm. Corn squeezins. I'm a malt guy myself but wouldn't mind dropping by your room for a tasting.

Takin' a whole chuck wagon for an overnight train trip? And in a sleeper? Wow, that takes more energy than I have. I mean, flex food is bad, but it's not thst bad for just one night. I'd take some snacks that don't need refrigeration and that includes fine cheeses and charcuterie, and, of couses, I'd be sure to have a small stock of appropriate alcoholic beverages, which in my case is a 375 ml bottle of decent whiskey and a 375 ml bottle of decent wine. Otherwise, I can handle flex dining for an overnight trip. A 4 day transcom trip is another matter, but then I thonk about what those passengers in the 1870s had to endure, and I think I could handle that, too.

What trains? You on the Crescent? Looks like you gonna be in NO at beautiful Roosevelt. It’s awesome last time I stayed there. Love Coffee Call also
Eagle FTW-SAS Jul 17
Sunset SAS-NOL Jul 18
Haven't been in the Roosevelt in over 50 years. I used to mix audio for Blue Room broadcast live to CBS radio when WWL radio studios were on 2nd floor of Roosevelt.
Crescent NOL-PHL Jul 19-20

Last edited:
Takin' a whole chuck wagon for an overnight train trip? And in a sleeper? Wow, that takes more energy than I have. I mean, flex food is bad, but it's not thst bad for just one night. I'd take some snacks that don't need refrigeration and that includes fine cheeses and charcuterie, and, of couses, I'd be sure to have a small stock of appropriate alcoholic beverages, which in my case is a 375 ml bottle of decent whiskey and a 375 ml bottle of decent wine. Otherwise, I can handle flex dining for an overnight trip. A 4 day transcon trip is another matter, but then I think about what those passengers in the 1870s had to endure, and I think I could handle that, too.
My rollaboard carries the softside Peltier chip cooler, Keurig compact coffee maker, sandwich maker (makes ersatz egg mc muffins) and power distro. Also some non refrig supplies. Individual condiment packs, no bottles or cans. Then my rolling computer case/suitcase. Two bags on wheels. Simple.
I enjoy my creature comforts, and the "Flex Meals" are execrable. An insult to a hyena's palate. While perhaps planned as a pleasing meal, my experience has encountered only overcooked or dry stuff, not served with the promised sides (salad, bread, condiments), just unappetizing slop in a round pan in a cardboard box with plastic utensils. Meat is dry and tough, veggies not to my taste. They would have done better just serving Swanson's or Marie Callender TV dinners. Or MREs for that matter. I do a little prep at home - egg rounds, sausage or bacon, whatever comes to mind. Tillamook cheesesticks, crackers, a tube or two of chips, dip, K-Cups for coffee and iced tea - and of course a firkin of corn squeezings. Never know when you might see a snake!
My tablet is my Internet hotspot, My dual band Amateur handheld also works as a scanner, laptop has 2 TB of storage. Don't need a bunch of wall warts, the power box takes care of charging/power needs. And limits current to 13 Amps so I don't trip the 15 amp breaker. Bluetooth headset/boom mic, natch!
I can eat or snack on my schedule. Four relaxing days on the train, and if the food and beverage service has indeed been restored, no big deal, I've got a two day drive back to Dallas, so the vittles won't go to waste. I can check the rollaboard overnight at the NOL station and only have to tote my rolling office/suitcase to the hotel. If I get to it, I'll shoot some pix for my website.
Not for everyone, true. But until the diners really come back, this works for me. I would carry this stuff anyway for the driving parts of the trips. The voyage is the enjoyment. There's something about a train...
When we did the 6 day longhaul DAL-CHI-LAX-DAL with the Family BR or the Upstairs BRs, we seldom left the room, restocked in LA, thoroughly enjoyed the trip. And didn't wear masks while in the room.

Last edited:
What is a firkin of corn squeezings?
What's it got to do with snakes?
Humorous ancient references, "ancient" referring to any time before 1960.

1) Firkin - A small container of distilled spirits - usually Tennessee Whiskey - Jack Daniel's preferred.
2) Snakes reference - Whiskey has long been referred to as a remedy for snakebite. - Two schools of thought:
Give the whiskey to the snake so he gets too drunk to bite you
If you get bitten, enough of the snakebite medicine and you don't care

Guess you have to be of a certain age to be familiar with such as this.

Last edited:
I think really bad whiskey is sometimes compared to a snake bite, i.e. so bad it's poisonous.
Never had any really bad whiskey. Bad whiskey is better than no whiskey.

But snakebite victims were usually given a shot of whiskey. So were gunshot victims. And dental patients. Or were people about to have a broken bone set. And a shot of whiskey would "calm the nerves". In the days before our modern medical knowledge, it was pretty much a panacea. Digressing somewhat, alcohol was the major ingredient in most patent medicines and nostrums.

The phrase "snakebite remedy" was in regards to snakebite victims. And then came the jest "I better take along some whisky, I might see a snake".

Back