Colorado Rail Car

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steve_relei

Lead Service Attendant
The other day on the rearend of the Starlight, I saw a Colorado Rail Car. What is it, what is it normally used for? Anybody know of why it was headed to Seattle?

Colarado Railcar is the manufacturer of the DMU. It is a self propelled passenger car that is, or supposedly, for commuter service. I think it is an interesting design, but it is much better off for excursion trains that don't need 10 passenger cars and 2 locomotives.

Well it was partially designed with commuter service in mind, but there are places that even Amtrak could use it. It would certainly be useful on the Springfield Mass line, and probably would also work well on a few of the Michigan runs.

You can learn more about it and see some pictures on their website located here.

The real question is, how is their quality. It has been suggested in the past, that this company doesn't always build quality products. I personally have no idea or experience in this area, but I have heard some doubts.

I think the design is ugly, and I believe Miami Joe when he says they manufacture poor quality cars. Too bad the SPV-2000 RDC's ("Seldom Powered Vehicles") from Budd Didn't work out.

Does anyone have a link they could supply me that could direct me to a schedule of when the DMU is coming to various places?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back