Columbia, SC station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NativeSon5859

Conductor
Has anyone been here recently?

I am thinking about taking the Silver Star down from Columbia to Tampa. It says there is free parking near the station. Is the station in an area of town where it'd be ok to leave one's car unattended for two days? I've never been to Columbia, but from the looks of it, the station is pretty close to downtown. It looks like a decent area from pictures, but of course pictures can be deceiving.

Thanks for any advice!

I am thinking about taking the Silver Star down from Columbia to Tampa. It says there is free parking near the station. Is the station in an area of town where it'd be ok to leave one's car unattended for two days? I've never been to Columbia, but from the looks of it, the station is pretty close to downtown. It looks like a decent area from pictures, but of course pictures can be deceiving.

Thanks for any advice!
Not sure how safe Columbia downtown is, I have heard a few people say it isn't a good place to be at night.

Perhaps the little town of Denmark, SC? The Amtrak station is about a block from and in view of the police station.

Thanks for any advice!
Columbia station has never given me any problems and has never made me feel uncomfortable. While I haven't taken 91/92 out of Columbia, I do go down to the station every now and then to watch 91/92 make their stops. The station is not actually in downtown, but rather a few blocks from it. USC's Colonial Center is right across the street, though. Area wise, there really isn't much around the station that would make me think it's a sketchy place to be at night - there are apartments right down the street and numerous businesses around too, although they are all closed by the time Amtrak comes through. As far as parking goes, I have left a car in the station lot for days at a time with no problem. As a matter of fact, I did this last weekend, where and friend of mine and I left his truck at Columbia and took 98 out of Florence to DC for the weekend (National Train Day) for scheduling reasons.

Not sure how safe Columbia downtown is, I have heard a few people say it isn't a good place to be at night.
It depends on what part, but it is usually a safe place to be.

Perhaps the little town of Denmark, SC? The Amtrak station is about a block from and in view of the police station.
The Denmark station is the last place you want to be in the middle of the night waiting on a train.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks for any advice!
Columbia station has never given me any problems and has never made me feel uncomfortable. While I haven't taken 91/92 out of Columbia, I do go down to the station every now and then to watch 91/92 make their stops. The station is not actually in downtown, but rather a few blocks from it. USC's Colonial Center is right across the street, though. Area wise, there really isn't much around the station that would make me think it's a sketchy place to be at night - there are apartments right down the street and numerous businesses around too, although they are all closed by the time Amtrak comes through. As far as parking goes, I have left a car in the station lot for days at a time with no problem. As a matter of fact, I did this last weekend, where and friend of mine and I left his truck at Columbia and took 98 out of Florence to DC for the weekend (National Train Day) for scheduling reasons.

It depends on what part, but it is usually a safe place to be.

The Denmark station is the last place you want to be in the middle of the night waiting on a train.
Thanks Bob...that's what I was looking for. I appreciate the information. I'll be driving in from ATL and I'll probably book this trip today...just an "out and back" down to Tampa to log some Silver Service miles under my belt.

Thanks for any advice!

CLB is not a bad area around the station, but as in any larger city it is necessary to use good common sense, and act accordingly. The main thing to keep in mind is that station is a fairly busy station for that area!

DNK on the other hand, is so-so as far as waiting on a train's arrival. Be sure to wait with your party who brings you to the station as I would not want to sit in a car by myself with no police around, but usually closer to train time the police is usually there at that depot. Only on a couple of occasions have I not seen them there when I passed through when working that route. However, DO NOT LEAVE a vehicle unattended there! You are asking for trouble as one of the last posters has indicated. So if you don't have anyone to bring you to the station, then just simply go up to CLB and get on the train there.

OBS gone freight...

Last edited by a moderator:
Possibly so.

Maybe Southern Pines - I spent most of one night waiting for a midnight train (which came at about 4 a.m.).

Police cars passed every 5 min or less, and I noticed young women walking their poodles and couples wandering

about at 1 and 2 a.m. Didn't seem to be concerned with their safety. I certainly wouldn't walk around Columbia

at 2 a.m. alone.

Possibly so.

Maybe Southern Pines - I spent most of one night waiting for a midnight train (which came at about 4 a.m.).

Police cars passed every 5 min or less, and I noticed young women walking their poodles and couples wandering

about at 1 and 2 a.m. Didn't seem to be concerned with their safety. I certainly wouldn't walk around Columbia

at 2 a.m. alone.
I don't think somebody would want to drive 3 hours to an unstaffed Southern Pines station when they have the manned Columbia station at their disposal. Also, the thriving Vista area of Columbia is only a few blocks away, but why would someone be out walking around outside of the station grounds anyway?

Possibly so.

at 2 a.m. alone.
I'd probably stick with Columbia over Southern Pines. I'm going there to catch a train, not to wander around downtown at 1am. Columbia seems to be a very easy drive from ATL...and the directions to the station seem pretty simple as well...so all in all, I'm not expecting any issues using CLB....I'll probably get there around 12:45 to ensure I have a good parking spot and then hunker down in the station for an hour until the train (if on time) shows up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back