Comparison Amtrak and European Train Travel

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wkaemena

Lead Service Attendant
In the last couple of months I leaned a lot about Amtrak without being on any Amtrak LD train so far. I rode a couple of times some NEC trains between DC and NY which somehow could be compared to european travel in view of punctuality and frequency.

On LD trains however the picture seems to be more than different. Connection times between trains of several hours might be a critical issue when you have to change trains or if you have a deadline at your destination e.g. catching a flight.

This reminds me of my story of traveling in Europe which might be unthinkable in US due to several reasons.

A couple of months ago I arrived at Vienna Airport coming from the middle east. Scheduled landing 6:30pm. In order to catch my nighttrain (dep 7:52pm ) in downtown vienna I must get the 7:06pm Airport express at Vienna Airport. My luggage showed up at 7:02pm on the belt. I got comfortably seated 30 second prior to Airport Express departure. 15 min ride to Vienna changing to the subway for another 10 min ride which should have brought me comfortably at 7:44pm to Vienna Weststation. Unfortuately there was some signalling problems with some congestions of subways trains which delayed my subway arrival to 7:48. I boarded my nighttrain 5 sec prior to departure. All you need is a watch with adjusted second pointer.........

see me here still short of breath

I think that one needs to keep in mind distances as a basic difference.

For example, the distance from Paris to Berlin is less than from Chicago to Washington, DC -- and that's not even half way across the United States. It makes a real difference in how passenger rail is operated.

I think that one needs to keep in mind distances as a basic difference.
For example, the distance from Paris to Berlin is less than from Chicago to Washington, DC -- and that's not even half way across the United States. It makes a real difference in how passenger rail is operated.
Long distances don't necessarily mean things can't be punctual. Last summer I took the train from Moscow to Beijing, which is certainly much further than anything in Amtrak's network. After about six days of travel we arrived in Beijing 90 seconds early.

One takes Amtrak, I believe, for the joy of the train ride, to see the countryside. Certainly on the long distance trains, anyway. I rarely care if I get to my destination on time. But i have to agree that European trains generally have great on time performance. They fall down in terms of lounges, which at least on German trains are small, cluttered, plastic and EXPENSIVE!! Many European trains, even the long distance ones, don't have decent lounges.

Reduced to the simplest trems possible: European trains (and the NEC), are from getting from point A to point B as quickly as possible. Amtrak trains (outside the NEC) are from getting from point A to point B as enjoyably as possible.

Long distances don't necessarily mean things can't be punctual. Last summer I took the train from Moscow to Beijing, which is certainly much further than anything in Amtrak's network. After about six days of travel we arrived in Beijing 90 seconds early.
And it doesn't. Amtrak can and does get you from New York to Los Angeles on schedule. It's really just a matter of setting the schedule so that you can't be late, as the Chinese have discovered....

One takes Amtrak, I believe, for the joy of the train ride, to see the countryside. Certainly on the long distance trains, anyway. I rarely care if I get to my destination on time. But i have to agree that European trains generally have great on time performance. They fall down in terms of lounges, which at least on German trains are small, cluttered, plastic and EXPENSIVE!! Many European trains, even the long distance ones, don't have decent lounges.
what do you mean with "lounges" in Germany the ICE3 trains have lounges at the front and end of the train

see here the second class lounge

and many main railway stations in Germany have lounges with WiFi etc like the Acela lounges or Metropolitan Lounge in Chicago.

or are you talking about dining cars??

German Dining Car

Hungarien Dining Car

Serbian Dining Car

what do you mean with "lounges" in Germany the ICE3 trains have lounges at the front and end of the train

and many main railway stations in Germany have lounges with WiFi etc like the Acela lounges or Metropolitan Lounge in Chicago.

German Dining Car

Hungarien Dining Car

Serbian Dining Car
I think the guest was referring to the "lounge" cars on the train-the Cafes, Sightseers, Amflt II lounges etc. that have tables where you can sit and in the Superliners an area to "lounge" and enjoy the scenery. On most, if not all ICE trains, they have a combined food service car (Bord Bistro/Bord Restaurant depending on the type) one half is didning car and the other is a "bistro." However, in the ICE 3s, this area lacks seats, and in all generations, it is smoke filled.

Some EC trains have only a dining car, and most IC trains have a "bistro", but this, again, is an undesireable place to sit/lounge because of all the smoke.

German Dining Car

Hungarien Dining Car

Serbian Dining Car
I think the guest was referring to the "lounge" cars on the train-the Cafes, Sightseers, Amflt II lounges etc. that have tables where you can sit and in the Superliners an area to "lounge" and enjoy the scenery. On most, if not all ICE trains, they have a combined food service car (Bord Bistro/Bord Restaurant depending on the type) one half is didning car and the other is a "bistro." However, in the ICE 3s, this area lacks seats, and in all generations, it is smoke filled.

Some EC trains have only a dining car, and most IC trains have a "bistro", but this, again, is an undesireable place to sit/lounge because of all the smoke.
Smoke is already banned or will be banned very soon !!!

On the ICE trains in Germany, there is only 1 smoking car per train, and I cant see that lasting for very long. Most public transport in Europe is now Non Smoking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back