Conductors scanning tickets with iPhone camera?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

truncated

Train Attendant
On my two most recent Acela trips this past month I noticed instead of scanning my ticket with the typical contraption / barcode scanner device (that has a red laser/light) the conductor used a regular iPhone camera to read the barcode instead — any idea if this is some newfangled technology that’s going to be rolled out at some point?

Doesn't really bother me if the conductors are switching to regular iPhones as opposed to a scanner just that I’ve noticed it takes meaningfully longer for my tickets to scan — which probably isn’t great on a full train. And fwiw the conductor on my NE Regional yesterday still had the regular handhelds so I’m wondering if this is an Acela-specific thing.

All iPhones can scan QR codes. I’m pretty sure tickets are just QR codes. Maybe it’s more complex than that though.

they’ve been scanning tickets on the Acela with iPhones for at least the past 3 years.

On my previous Acela trips earlier in the year they’ve been using the barcode scanner / contraption thing (which is attached to the iPhone) that uses some kind of red light / laser(?) to scan my tickets (and beeps when it scans successfully), but this time around they’re just using the regular iPhone camera to read the ticket - kind of how one would use their own phone to scan a QR code at a restaurant - so am wondering if this is a new change? Especially since the scanning now appears to take longer than with the old barcode scanner that I’ve otherwise encountered on both the Acela and the Regionals

All iPhones can scan QR codes. I’m pretty sure tickets are just QR codes. Maybe it’s more complex than that though.

they’ve been scanning tickets on the Acela with iPhones for at least the past 3 years.
Unless something has changed recently the coded information is pretty light in that bar/QR code. It is basically the PNR identifier and the date of its creation AFAIR. The rest of the information comes from looking it up in the locally loaded roster or from the database back in the ranch.

Unless something has changed recently the coded information is pretty light in that bar/QR code. It is basically the PNR identifier and the date of its creation AFAIR. The rest of the information comes from looking it up in the locally loaded roster or from the database back in the ranch.
If you scan a ticket QR code with your phone it simply displays the reservation number and date of that reservation. I just did that with one of my PDF tickets.
As jis said, the device just "looks up" that reservation to display the particulars (name, from/to, accommodation, etc.).

Be aware: If you upload a photo of your ticket to social media...the QR code (if visible) may be scanned by anyone!

If you scan a ticket QR code with your phone it simply displays the reservation number and date of that reservation. I just did that with one of my PDF tickets.
As jis said, the device just "looks up" that reservation to display the particulars (name, from/to, accommodation, etc.).

Be aware: If you upload a photo of your ticket to social media...the QR code (if visible) may be scanned by anyone!

Your thinking someone is just waiting for the opportunity to ace you out of your trip.

Their device is a specialized version of an iPhone. When they scan the QR code, using normal iPhone hardware capabilities, it connects to the pre loaded manifest and reservations system and checks you in. That is a function the specialized software Amtrak has on those iPhone based devices, it isn't something that is on regular iPhones and the connection to the Amtrak backend is secured.

I’m on the train right now and nobody has scanned my ticket at all.

Is your ticket a RT ticket? A friend recently traveled, and they didn’t scan his ticket. A week later on the return, when they went to scan his ticket, it came back canceled. The system had canceled his his return home since his ticket wasn’t originally scanned on the leg up. He got to stay on the train, but the conductor was pissed that someone didn’t do their job by scanning the ticket to start with.

I had an odd situation recently. When our original plans changed I had to add a segment in each direction from Huntington WV to Charlottesville VA. The conductor eastbound only scanned once, and the second segment showed on my app as not taken.
So on the westbound return, I asked the conductor to scan it. She wasn't certain it would take, but it did. Why bother? For AGR credit, naturally!

So on the westbound return, I asked the conductor to scan it. She wasn't certain it would take, but it did. Why bother? For AGR credit, naturally!
Indeed! There have been times when I took Amtrak NER from New Rochelle to New York or New York to Newark. Upon arrival at the destination I would be found chasing behind a Conductor to get my ticket scanned, unless I had managed to track him/her down in the train during the short ride. Used to be an even more frequent issue in the 100 points per segment days. :)

Conductors are indeed being issued iPhones without the scanning sled. The sleds are quite expensive and apparently Amtrak is trying to cut that cost out. I've tried camera scanning and while it does work fairly well, it's just too slow when sweeping a full train. QR code recognition is great, but it takes forever to scan a station or QuikTrak barcode and the camera lags a bit every time it has to fire up to scan the next document.

Yeah it's a bit more complex than that. For the longest time iOS didn't have native support for reading bar codes, PDF417 (the current code used on Amtrak paper tickets), or QR codes. But apps could get access to the camera or photos and then read the code from the image. I've used such tools to see what was encoded on my Amtrak tickets and noticed nothing more than simple alphanumeric codes that reflected a ticket number (for older live 10-rides) or the eTicket reservation code and date.

But even 7 or 8 years ago I remember seeing Amtrak conductors with just a bare iPhone 4s using the camera to scan tickets. I was told that the custom app that Amtrak uses was specifically designed to use the camera if the case wasn't connected. It might even be able to use the camera in the case.

Apple does currently have native support where the normal camera mode will now recognize QR codes on the fly. Before I couldn't do anything with the QR codes for websites without going through a third-party app. I've tried some weird things too such as just take a photo of a QR code from my phone and then using my camera to load my COVID-19 vaccination record from my state. I got this weird Moiré effect that made it difficult to scan. I kept on trying it until it finally recognized it and asked if I wanted to add the vaccination record to my Health app.

Conductors are indeed being issued iPhones without the scanning sled. The sleds are quite expensive and apparently Amtrak is trying to cut that cost out. I've tried camera scanning and while it does work fairly well, it's just too slow when sweeping a full train. QR code recognition is great, but it takes forever to scan a station or QuikTrak barcode and the camera lags a bit every time it has to fire up to scan the next document.

What are they using now? When they first started using iPhones, it was the iPhone 4s, but those are frankly ancient by now. With the scanner/battery combo it would keep the battery from having to be used often, and the battery only had a rated life of a few hundred cycles and wasn't something that Apple installed (they would replace the whole thing for a battery price and have some central repair swap out the battery for new replacements).

I've personally seen Amtrak conductors used their phones out the case 7 or 8 years ago. The speed of QR code processing depends on what's currently running. If you're taking about just turning the normal camera mode on, it's laggy because that's just a secondary function compared to taking photos. But a dedicated app that only looking for codes should be much faster.

I barely ride Amtrak since I don't really need to and I didn't pay that much attention to what the conductors were using to scan my tickets. For unreserved commute rides I recall getting scanned almost every time. In fact I think they just asked for my name on the Coast Starlight, marked it on a sheet, and then just handled it later. The bus driver on my last connecting Amtrak trip did the same. I don't recall what the conductor used on Capitol Corridor.

Your thinking someone is just waiting for the opportunity to ace you out of your trip.
Not necessarily thinking "just waiting" but rather the possibility exists for that to happen. I'm careful with other information I put on line as well.
I've heard this is a common problem for bloggers and social media personalities who post about current and future events. They might remove the human readable stuff but leave some of the computer code visible. A bit of translated code and some human engineering can change everything.

Last edited:
Is your ticket a RT ticket? A friend recently traveled, and they didn’t scan his ticket. A week later on the return, when they went to scan his ticket, it came back canceled. The system had canceled his his return home since his ticket wasn’t originally scanned on the leg up. He got to stay on the train, but the conductor was pissed that someone didn’t do their job by scanning the ticket to start with.
Yes, it was a RT ticket for a sleeper. It was scanned on the first segment, but never scanned on the return segment. We returned today and when I look at my account it indicates "Upcoming Trips - Reservations will be removed five days after the end of a trip."

Their device is a specialized version of an iPhone. When they scan the QR code, using normal iPhone hardware capabilities, it connects to the pre loaded manifest and reservations system and checks you in. That is a function the specialized software Amtrak has on those iPhone based devices, it isn't something that is on regular iPhones and the connection to the Amtrak backend is secured.

Well yeah, it's just a specialized app. I've seen these things before, like the time I stayed in a hotel room and there was an iPad Mini there with specialized controls. I could control the lights and air conditioning with that. I think I could have even ordered room service, paid my bill, etc. But the device itself was locked out of most functions that one would normally find. It wasn't operating much like a standard iPad although it had access to the maps app and maybe a few other ones. But it required special access to change it, like I'd expect.

As for scanning codes - most laser scanners can only scan a 1-dimensional barcode. It has to have a camera to scan a 2D code like PDF417 or QR. It will still flash the laser every time, but I believe those require a button press to start, but there's also a camera. However, the Amtrak app has always been able to work through the regular iPhone camera if the scanner/battery case isn't used.

I've heard this is a common problem for bloggers and social media personalities who post about current and future events. They might remove the human readable stuff but leave some of the computer code visible. A big of translated code and some human engineering can change everything.

I think you can get in trouble scanning QR code’s that may be fake. Scammers post phony QR code’s in emails to cause malware and also paste QR code’s where they are used for information, such as bus stops.

I think you can get in trouble scanning QR code’s that may be fake. Scammers post phony QR code’s in emails to cause malware and also paste QR code’s where they are used for information, such as bus stops.

Depends on the QR code. Amtrak's QR code are small and frankly can't contain more than a few characters. But it's possible to see what it says. Amtrak QR codes just encode simple ASCII any code reader will show that. I wouldn't do anything with the result of a QR code scan unless I see what it is.

Yes, it was a RT ticket for a sleeper. It was scanned on the first segment, but never scanned on the return segment. We returned today and when I look at my account it indicates "Upcoming Trips - Reservations will be removed five days after the end of a trip."

It's possible that the conductor lifted your ticket themselves. It's done frequently. Conductors will ask us if a room got on, or we'll tell the conductor that Room 15 got on as an example.

As to the topic question. Amtrak started issuing eMD's to Conductors without the laser scanner. Amtrak also is issuing eMD's to certain OBS staff for their trip. It's only in a trial stage at this time. However it's only for the purpose of the OBS staff being able to keep a better eye on the manifest. OBS staff are not to lift tickets etc.

It's possible that the conductor lifted your ticket themselves. It's done frequently. Conductors will ask us if a room got on, or we'll tell the conductor that Room 15 got on as an example.

As to the topic question. Amtrak started issuing eMD's to Conductors without the laser scanner. Amtrak also is issuing eMD's to certain OBS staff for their trip. It's only in a trial stage at this time. However it's only for the purpose of the OBS staff being able to keep a better eye on the manifest. OBS staff are not to lift tickets etc.
What is an eMD and/or what do the initials stand for?

Back